Sibs at School: A Blessing or a Curse?

From days fighting over toys, to days walking into the halls of high school together, siblings can be both a joy and a pain throughout the many years spent together. Having a sibling close in age to do life with can be one of the greatest gifts – as well as the most annoying one. With home and school life intertwined, how do our siblings of North Atlanta feel about sharing yet another thing – their high school experience – with their brother or sister?

In almost every family, there is a clear line of power drawn between siblings, with the older sibling taking on the taxing role of bossing the rest around. But when it comes to the daunting halls of high school, older sibs often shift to a much more protective role. The loving face of a sister or brother is sometimes a much-needed relief from the dizzy reality of a day in public high school. Having a younger sibling tagging along can, of course, be a pain. Being anyone’s ride constantly is not a pleasant job to be tasked with, as younger siblings do tend to be irritatingly slow – especially in the mornings. Nevertheless, guiding a sibling through high school is one of the most rewarding things an older sibling can offer. Junior Cecily Sullivan is close friends with her younger sister Brie Sullivan, a freshman this year at North Atlanta. “Embarrassing her in the hallway by yelling her name is one of my favorite, older sibling things to do,” said Cecily Sullivan. “It’s completely out of love though.”

As a younger sibling, having a built-in guide for your first year of high school is one of the biggest blessings. There is of course the most prominent relief – a ride to school every morning. Another advantage is the inside scoop on all the teachers and classes of the year, who to watch out for, and who to befriend. Furthermore, being known by the upperclassmen is one of the greatest social accomplishments a freshman can attain. Junior Natasha Havey has been at North Atlanta with her older sister, Lizzie Havey, for three years. “Having an older sister has made me a lot more prepared,” she said. “Lizzie warns me about teachers, helps me with homework, and bonds with me over experiences in the classes we’ve taken.”

Like all relationships, sibling relationships ebb and flow throughout age and life changes. Although teenagers are notoriously known for wanting as much individuality and space from their family as possible, there is something to be said about the growth of sibling relationships as they age into young adulthood. Once past the fighting over toys stage of life, maturing alongside siblings creates more space for friendship and respect. “Covid especially made [me and my sister] closer,” said freshman Brie Sullivan. “And now being in high school together, we get to spend time together every day riding to school, listening to our agreed upon playlist.”

Though every sibling relationship is unique, and some pose much harder challenges than others, an appreciation for each other is what drives a friendship’s growth. The high school experience may be a harsh reality at times, but having your sib along for the ride could make all the difference.