Fruit Flies! Fruit Flies!: Get Out of My Hair!

Sophomore+Journalism+2+student+Ryan+Rucker+has+something+at+school+thats+bugging+him+--+North+Atlantas+ubiquitous+fruit+flies%21+

Dennis Racket

Sophomore Journalism 2 student Ryan Rucker has something at school that’s bugging him — North Atlanta’s ubiquitous fruit flies!

Ever wondered what the one species that could possibly outnumber the 2,000+ students at North Atlanta is – the fruit flies. They are everywhere, and roam the school as if it is their personal playground. If there’s one thing that teachers and students share, it’s the strong hatred for these territorial, greedy, and annoying creatures. You would think that in one of Georgia’s most spacious schools, there would be at least 1 place that these beasts have not conquered. Well there isn’t, and nowhere is safe.

For students on the 5th floor, which is deemed the ‘Freshman Floor’, this is especially a consistent issue. When I was a freshman, and had the majority of my classes on the 5th floor, I would always get distracted by the small crawly sensations on my arms and face. Teachers on this floor, such as Mr. Stenger, have taken it upon themselves to make and set up DIY fly traps. I myself have also been a part of the fly-prevention committee, and it takes hard work and dedication. The funny thing about it, is that no matter how many traps get placed, the fruit fly population never truly sees an end.

The most obnoxious thing about these miniature insects is that they have no problem matching the appetite of the average high school student, and will want in on whatever snacks are in their presence. I’ve had to throw away insane amounts of food, after contact was made between my lunch and the school flies. It really feels like you’re battling insects over the lunch you packed, and waited 5 hours to eat. However, after dealing with these bothersome bugs for a year now, I have learned that they do prefer sweets over salty foods, hence the name ‘Fruit Fly’.

Another way that the fruit flies of North Atlanta become invasive are in the school restrooms. I can’t speak for the ladies, but I can confirm that the men’s restrooms have been fly infested for a while now. Many of the urinals do not properly function in the first place, and those that are available usually happen to be occupied by our flying friends. If you can’t eat, can’t learn, and can’t even use the restroom without being swarmed by these insects, then what can you do?

Instead of learning in a comfortable and worry-free environment, students have to continuously swat themselves to avoid the annoyance of these fruit flies. Teachers have to take the time, and spend the money, on products to make fly traps. Meanwhile these pests live rent-free in our 11 story school. There has to be some way we can put an end to the fruit fly population at North Atlanta High School.