Teacher Stories: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Teaching+Tales%3A+Sophomore+Journalism+2+student+Jackson+Lerner+stresses+the+reality+that+teachers+can+make+or+break+a+student%E2%80%99s+learning+experience+%E2%80%93+and+even+the+capturing+of+a+subject%E2%80%99s+content.+

Dennis Racket

Teaching Tales: Sophomore Journalism 2 student Jackson Lerner stresses the reality that teachers can make or break a student’s learning experience – and even the capturing of a subject’s content.

Teachers can make or break a student’s interest and performance in a subject, and North Atlanta High School certainly has its fair share of good, bad, questionable, and unfair teachers. Some teachers keep class exciting and enjoyable, but other teachers make class dull. And for students this makes going to class an everyday challenging experience. Also, there’s this: It’s quite hard to forget about the unpleasant and spiteful teachers, who are a pain for students to deal with.

It is common for students to have a favorite subject, that they enjoy learning about, or have noticed they have a natural talent for. But a student’s favorite subject can also be encouraged by a stupendous teacher. In my own experience, my favorite subject has constantly been changed over the years, and it is all dependent on the teacher, and how interesting they make the subject for their students.

Sitting in a classroom, desks lined up facing the teacher, while the teacher talks to the students while presenting on their board has become the norm at North Atlanta, and many students struggle not to doze off with this type of teaching. However, there are certainly exceptions to all this. For example, fun teachers like Mr. Stenger and Mr. McPhail in the ELA Department let their students go outside of the classroom, and talk to each other within class, all of which promotes engagement and social interaction. Other winning teachers – who teach with a similar philosophy — are teachers like Ms. Key in math, Mr. Robinson in social studies and Ms. Kimathi in science. These teachers are able to keep their students attentive, and they are able to teach the students the content that is needed.

As I stated earlier, teachers that lead a boring class are common at North Atlanta. There is no doubt this is not just a common occurrence at North Atlanta, this happens at every school around the world. There isn’t much else to say about it either, students are bored and uninterested in what the teacher has to say. A great step that North Atlanta could take, is to encourage a more exciting form of teaching with teachers. This would definitely boost the students’ attention and learning within these subjects.

While dull and boring teachers are not fun to deal with, unfair and one-sided teachers are by far the worst. These types of teachers are always hard for students to manage, whether it be an unfair grading, a test with content that the teacher did not go over, or a teacher who is just rude to students in general. It always is a pain to attend these classes, and when you know you have this class coming up, it always brings a student’s spirits down.

To be sure, there are all types of teachers at North Atlanta. These teachers define and shape a student’s interest in just about every subject relating to school. Some teachers are great, some are boring, and some are just a pain in the neck.