Día De Los Muertos: Dubs Recognize the Dead

John Calame

A parade through the cafeteria on November 1st celebrates the Day of the Dead.

October 31 may traditionally be characterized by carved pumpkins and trick-or-treating, but what if the celebrations continue? A holiday offers a diversity of festivals, such as the Day of the Dead, a heavily observed holiday, primarily in Mexico. November 1 and 2 may seem like recovery days from Halloween for some North Atlanta students. Still, the celebration is just beginning for those looking forward to the Day of the Dead holiday. Day of the Dead is overflowing with cultural celebrations, and efforts are being made at North Atlanta to celebrate its exciting traditions.

North Atlanta Spanish teacher Thomas Williams believes the holiday is worth recognizing. Not only do the Dubs appreciate The Day of the Dead festivities, but even those who don’t celebrate it can experience a direct connection to the culture. “I shared Day of the Dead activities with my students because people shouldn’t just know of its existence, but also of its global importance,” said Williams.
Students across North enjoy what the celebrations teach them about the global nature of the world. Junior Jake Hunter feels that the Day of the Dead is a fascinating holiday to learn about. “I’m grateful to know about it and think others should too, so I was excited to enjoy the Dubs festivities,” said Hunter.

Other students saw value in the celebration’s history and cultural ties. Sophomore Marlon Sommersall enjoyed watching the festivities through the school and learning about it in his Spanish class. By learning about traditions tied to the holiday, he could find appreciation for the culture of others. “I appreciated learning about the Day of the Dead traditions,” Sommerwater said. “I don’t see why this rich celebration deserves any less of a spotlight than Halloween.”

The consensus within North Atlanta is that the Day of the Dead adds an exciting cultural experience to holiday festivities and academic curricula. The celebration offers a way to keep the fall seasons lively and experience a distinct side of tradition much enjoyed by Dubs across the eleven stories.