Time Flies: A Reflection on Seniors’ Short-Lived High School Experience

In the Blink of an Eye: The class of 2023 has a nostalgic stance on their high school experience. From experiencing the pandemic to adjusting to virtual school, the impacts of the last four years (what feels like four seconds to some) are plentiful.

John Calame

There was a time in the class of 2023’s high school experience when four years seemed like an eternity. Yet once it has all passed, it can be over in the blink of an eye. High school seems daunting initially, but many students quickly realize, “am I about to graduate?” Time flies whether you are having fun or not, and students at North Atlanta share this sentiment as they reflect on the light speed that their high school years went by.

A common theme of the Class of 2023’s time at North Atlanta is the impact of the pandemic and their road to recovery. Senior Kevin Clark spent both his sophomore and junior year in virtual school. The days blended even more than he had anticipated, and he was left wondering where his in-person high school memories went. “I spent over two years in virtual school, and those alone honestly felt like possibly six months,” he said. “The time flew faster than I could have imagined.” 

Dillon Harris also encountered a similar phenomenon looking back on his high school experience, though he spent comparatively less time in virtual school than Clark. Harris admits that his four years of high school felt more like four seconds. His recollections from the years at North Atlanta are fuzzy, particularly surrounding Covid-19 schooling. “Losing time to the pandemic made my experience feel short, Harris said. “I remember middle school better than my freshman and sophomore years.” 

A common worry among Dubs going to college is whether they will suffer the same fate of forgetfulness they did in high school. College is supposedly the most exciting years of your life, and thus our seniors expect the best out of their next academic adventure. Wish them luck, and underclassmen Dubs, hold tight to your memories – and remember, NAHS is forever.