Rising SAT/ACT Alternative: All About the Classic Learning Test

Patricia Pascual
Your Choice: Will you take the SAT, the ACT, or the CLT?

For the average high school student, standardized tests are a crucial part of the college application, providing colleges with a general idea of a student’s academic standing. For years, the designated standardized tests for high school students have been the SAT, by the College Board; and the ACT, by American College Testing Inc. However, as of recently, a new standardized test has been accepted among select universities. The Classic Learning Test (CLT), by Classic Learning Initiatives, is a rising test alternative that assesses reading, writing, and mathematics.

Although the Classic Learning Test just recently started becoming accepted by universities, it’s been around for some time. In 2015, the test was developed by podcaster and entrepreneur Jeremy Tate and received support from many religious conservative schools, such as Holy Spirit College and Impact 360 Institute. The test emphasizes “classical” education – rather than complexity – and consists of works by  Voltaire, Plato, and Shakespeare. The CLT also values consistency, meaning that it will not be influenced by educational or cultural trends.

Earlier this month, Florida became the first state to approve the Classic Learning Test for admissions and did so for all state public universities, including Florida State University, Florida Atlantic University, University of Florida, and Florida International University. Students will also have the opportunity to use CLT test scores to apply for scholarships and request aid. 

The Classic Learning Test itself costs $59 and takes approximately two hours to complete – at school or home. The CLT consists of three sections: the verbal reasoning section, which focuses on textual analysis and comprehension; the grammar/writing section, which involves textual editing and spelling; and the quantitative reasoning section, which focuses on mathematics and logic. Each section takes an average of 40 minutes to complete, however extended time is available to those with accommodations. Test results are available to students eight business days after completing the test.

The Classic Learning Test is on the rise and carries its own principles along with it. It can be taken online and is much shorter than both the SAT and the ACT. More colleges will likely begin to accept the CLT for admissions testing in the future.