Capturing True Colors: Behind the Scenes with the Dubs Yearbook Staff

Yearbook leader Lizzie Hart directing a meeting with the captive audience of her staff

As the school year progresses and memories are being made, there’s a dedicated group of students working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that these moments are preserved for all time in the pages of our yearbook. The yearbook staff at North Atlanta is a dynamic team that always meets expectations. 

Joseph Perez, also known as the guy with fluffy hair who runs around with a camera, found joining the yearbook staff a natural choice, given his passion for creative design and art. However, this does not mean that the production of the yearbook is a walk in the park. “Lots of work goes into it. A single spread can take me weeks,” said Perez.

Each staff member is responsible for an average of four spreads, depending on their years on staff. The spreads then get merged, which is where the entire staff has to come together. “What goes into making the yearbook is a lot of teamwork!” said Natasha Havey. “We all help each other with anything we’re struggling on and guide any staffers who struggle with their spreads.”

Growing up, Havey loved flipping through the pages of her yearbook, but once she got to High school she found admiring it wasn’t enough. “I wanted to be a part of something that would make memories that people would cherish forever. Years after we’re out of high school, we will all be able to look back at the yearbook and admire the memories we made and the fun we had,” said Havey. 

Lizzie Hart, the Editor in Chief, leads the team with her creative vision and dedication. “I chose to join the yearbook staff as a sophomore because I wanted to expand on my passion for storytelling.” said Hart, “I love to combine visual and written work to create a timeline of our year for the student body to enjoy.”

The editor-in-chief is tasked with creating the yearbook’s theme, a difficult decision. This year, the theme is “True Colors”. For Hart, she looked into past yearbooks to see what they lacked and added it to the book. “I noticed a lack of people-specific stories and decided to make the theme “True Colors” to highlight the true stories behind the students and staff, who are what make North Atlanta so great in the first place,” said Hart.

​​The answer is simple for the question of how to be in the yearbook: submit pictures when a staffer requests them. The yearbook depends on these submissions for student life spreads. If students haven’t submitted photos, they shouldn’t worry, “If someone wants to be featured in the yearbook, they won’t need to do anything because they probably already are,” said Havey. “The yearbook staff tries to ensure there is a lot of ‘coverage’ and that as much of the student body as possible is seen in the yearbook.”

So this year, remember to buy your yearbook! Thanks to the hard work and creativity of the yearbook staff, our high school experiences are transformed into something that can last forever.