Unmatched Excellence: North Atlanta’s Fearless Fencers Prepare for the Season

Prez, Allez: Preston So successfully spars at the first tournament of the 2023-2024 OGHSFL season.
@nahs_saber_fencing_team

Allez, advance, attack! The North Atlanta saber fencing team was established during the first semester of the 2022-2023 school year. During last year’s season, NAHS fencers took home one silver medal and one gold medal, winning them the state competition. These fencers are not only upholding expectations but surpassing excellence as they start the new season.

One of the fencers who brought North Atlanta to victory at state last year was sophomore Christopher Shankwilier. Shankwiler began his fencing career at the early age of 5. He liked how it’s the only sport where you can just grab a sword and whack your friends with it. Fencing in high school has taught him important lessons about preparation. His pre-tournament ritual focuses on not only the physical aspects but also the mental aspects of the sport. He believes the key to success lies in getting in the zone – having no other distractions and focusing on what’s in front of you. Obviously, this strategy is working – he and fellow sophomore Fuller Stoll both won the USA All-Academic Fencing Award.  “I cannot describe how excited I was when I won the award,” said Shankwiler. “It was great to see all of my hard work pay off.”

Fuller Stoll began fencing more recently than Shankwiler, but he’s no rookie. At the start of COVID-19, Stoll was in need of some entertainment – and what could be more exhilarating than sword-fighting? Nellya – an Atlanta fencing club – was located near his house, and he knew it was fate. Several North Atlanta fencers are members of this club, and it has even produced several junior Olympians. Post-pandemic, Stoll has sharpened up his skills and is ready to join the school team. “My favorite part of the sport is that it’s independent, so one’s success is determined by their own performance,” said Stoll. “This motivates me to work hard and improve myself each day.”

Newcomer freshman Preston So has been fencing for four years. While he too fences with Nellya, he prefers North Atlanta practices. Fencing practice is shorter than other sports, though it is still action-packed. The typical practice takes place in the gym and begins by warming up with a few laps and some dynamic stretches. This is followed by footwork drills. Then, the fencers suit up and don their elaborate ensembles. All fencers are required to wear a jacket, mask, glove, trousers, stockings, and flat-soled shoes – along with an electrically conductive jacket that defines the scoring area – called a lamé. All of this is needed for the next part of practice, during which the teammates fence bouts with each other. “The only way to get better is through practicing the real thing,” said So. “Bouts are my favorite part of practice.”  

The fencing team is seeing all this practice pay off, as So scored silver at the team’s first meet in October. Shankwiler also secured gold. As the season continues, the team hopes to continue this winning streak and make new advances.