From the Warriors to Wofford: Darius Malcolm is Division One Bound

Division one bound: Darius Malcolm makes his commitment to Wofford official

Now that singing day has officially come to a close, high school recruits across the country can now breathe a massive sigh of relief. This day officially fulfills a dream many of these athletes have had since they first stepped foot onto a field. Their playing days now officially continue for another four years while also obtaining an extremely valuable college education. One of these star athletes is North Atlanta football player Darius Malcolm. Malcolm has officially announced his recruitment to play at Wofford University in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The Terriers are set to gain an incredible athlete who is capable of making a game changing play at any moment, especially when the lights are shining brightest.

Malcolm was a standout athlete at North Atlanta playing primarily cornerback during his four years of high school football. However, in his senior year he was a two-way stud for the Dubs adding on to his already well-established defensive repertoire with an impressive display out of the backfield. His exploits landed him all region honorable mention honors for the second straight season. He totaled roughly 500 yards on the ground to go along with 6 touchdowns to pair with his four interceptions on the season. Malcolm was also a game changer in the return game with two kick return touchdowns on the season. Malcolm was a true big play threat in all three phases of the game. This big play ability stems from his ridiculous athletic capabilities and breakaway speed. When compared with his surprising strength and impressive contact balance, he was a nightmare to tackle in the run game and on returns, especially in the open field. With a 4.4 second 40-yard dash he was the fastest player on the Warrior football team this fall and one of the fastest athletes in the state, backed up by his state championship in the 4×100 meter dash. “We never knew what he would do every time he stepped on the field,” said senior linebacker Julian May, “A game could be a complete stalemate, but in an instant, he could blow the game wide open.”

Malcolm’s ultimate goal has always been to play at the highest level. Even during his freshman year and sophomore years, he was constantly going to camps to show off his immense potential. However, he did not get many varsity opportunities in his first two seasons at North Atlanta. He finally got his chance to shine going into his Junior Year. Despite an impressive performance and all region honorable mention, no colleges came calling. Undeterred, Malcolm continued to work and go to camps and over the summer he finally received his first offer to Reinhardt University. The offers didn’t stow down from there. He went on to receive division one offers from Austin Peay, Samford, Wofford, and ETSU, but Malcolm knew instantly where he wanted to go. “I loved everything about the school. It’s close to home and the coaches made me feel loved during every part of my recruiting process,” said Malcom, “They made me feel like a priority and I couldn’t pass that up.” 

Everyone surrounding the program knows the incredible potential Malcolm has. With his incredible work ethic and drive to be great, Malcolm can become a phenomenal player at the next level and beyond.

View Comments (2)