It’s Crunch Time: Students React to FAFSA Delays

Shutterstock
Financial Fiasco: The delivery of financial aid data from FAFSA to colleges has been postponed until March.

For many students, the anticipated cost of attending college is the deciding factor on where – and if – they will seek higher education. Every year, millions of high school seniors complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The purpose of FAFSA is to award federal aid to students who demonstrate financial need. However, regardless of family earnings, all students may be eligible for some sort of financial assistance. Recent delays regarding the 2024-25 FAFSA have left North Atlanta seniors anxious and uncertain about their future educational plans.

Every year, the FAFSA form for the subsequent academic year becomes accessible on Oct. 1. A large number of students aim to complete the process as quickly as possible in order to focus on other aspects of their education, such as college applications and finishing their high school career strong. Unexpectedly, the 2024-25 FAFSA did not open on Oct. 1 as anticipated but was instead postponed until December. The delay is due to changes in the student aid calculation system. This setback has left many students in a state of discontent. “Everyone was scared that they would miss their deadlines for financial aid,” said senior Liza Barry. “The communication from the Department of Education was also less than satisfactory.”

Unfortunately, the postponement of the October FAFSA launch will not be the only delay in the application for financial aid. On 30 January 2024, the United States Department of Education announced that there would be another delay in the already slow-moving process. This delay means that colleges will not begin receiving applicants’ financial aid data from FAFSA until the first half of March – which is over a month later than anticipated. This may interfere with the deadlines that applicants face. As a result, students have begun to feel insecure about their stance in the search for higher education. “It is upsetting that it’s been three weeks since I sat down to complete the FAFSA, yet my form still hasn’t been sent to a single college,” said senior Logan HoSang Perez.

The North Atlanta High School College and Career Center relies on the completion of FAFSA to help students achieve their goals. The recent FAFSA delay has prevented advisors from assisting students with the achievement of scholarships and the comparing of financial aid packages. “We may have to work hard over the summer for things that should have been getting done today,” said NAHS College and Career advisor Preciosa Bulauan. 

The FAFSA delays have certainly been a roadblock for high school seniors. Being left in limbo has added to the already high-stress levels of students as they navigate their final year of high school. By mid-March most colleges and universities will have access to each student’s FAFSA – if the documents were submitted on time – and financial aid packages should be available to be viewed soon.