A Band of Brothers: Warriors Basketball is Filled with Family

Nathan Allen
The group of brothers embrace before the last home game of the season.

North Atlanta’s boy’s basketball program has been consistently strong in an extremely competitive and tough environment. Throughout the many factors that play into their strength, the intimate community and devoted players lead the way. The program can be considered
a close-knit group. While being a sport with small teams that constantly interact, Warrior basketball is a family affair. Nearly half of the Varsity squad has a younger brother within the program. This characteristic provides a unique perspective that will allow the program to continue to grow.

Six varsity players have a younger sibling somewhere throughout the program. Senior guards, Harrison Balch, Will Burke, and Nico Michael all have brothers, Will Balch, Alex Burke, and Nehemiah Michael competing on the freshman team. Junior forward Will Overby’s younger brother Graham Overby also plays on the freshman squad. Lastly, Brooks Allen and Jackson Allen both battle with the varsity squad. The importance of camaraderie and teamwork benefits each of these players as they can assist and support each other in the pursuit of difficult Georgia basketball. Older siblings can describe the difficulties that basketball shows such as time commitments, tough workouts, and heartbreaking losses. More importantly, they share with their younger sibling the passion for basketball, an intangible trait that will push the young players to do their best for the school and their families. “Watching Nico has made me want to work so much harder to get to where he is and even outperform him,” said freshman Nehemiah Michael, “I know how much effort he has put into basketball which makes me want to follow him.”

On the back of watching their older brothers reach the sweet sixteen in the playoffs despite an emotional and difficult season, the younger brothers have a lot to look up to. However, these younger siblings proved they would be special, as shown by an extremely strong freshman and JV team. Hardly losing any games and blowing opponents out of the water, the young Warriors look very promising. With the guidance of their big brothers and the chemistry between each other, they will truly be a special group of players. Boasting three full years left for the five little siblings, time is on their side as they continue to grow together and with the guidance of family. “Being so involved and following along with such a special year will help us for the future of our years at NAHS,” said freshman Will Balch, “It has given all of us great insight into everything we need to be successful.

As these young athletes continue to make their mark on NAHS athletics they will be guided by the priceless advice of their siblings. Although they have a standard to live up to, with hard work and the special chemistry they have they are destined to fill their siblings’ shoes. A promising future is in store for the Warriors basketball team.