Why the Commotion Around Cords?

Colorful Displays: A previous graduating class of North Atlanta displays their collection of chords.

At graduation, there is a kaleidoscope of colors draped around the necks of our seniors. Originating from medieval academic regalia, graduation cords have evolved in modern years. From academic honors to extracurricular achievements, cords are tangible reminders of the countless hours spent pursuing knowledge and personal growth. In wearing these cords, seniors celebrate their achievements and honor the supportive communities, mentors, and loved ones who have helped them along the way. For many, cords cause a desire to strive for excellence as they serve as beacons of aspiration and motivation, igniting competition between peers.

Some only hear about cords in their second semester of the senior year, while for others, they are a driving motivation to enroll in extracurriculars and participate in their community. While the motivation may seem superficial, the student’s achievements are not; clubs, including the National Art Honors Society, Mu Alpha Theta, and Rho Kappa, disperse cords to their members upon graduation, but all of these clubs have an impact on their communities. The National Art Honors Society organizes a sunflower project annually, giving beautiful pieces of art to a struggling community member. Mu Alpha Theta is a math club with students who tutor peers for free. Rho Kappa assists with voting registration, helping the younger generation become involved. “I didn’t join Rho Kappa because I wanted to make a difference, not because I wanted a cord,” said Kate Tully, “but receiving one to recognize my accomplishments was incredible.”

However, for some students, cords seem like a flashy accessory they need to have rather than a recognition of accomplishment. In recent years, however, students have found ways to cheat the system, such as buying chords online from sites like Amazon, where an individual cord costs around five dollars a piece. “I don’t want to seem like a loser at graduation with one measly cord hanging around my neck,” said an anonymous senior. “I would rather be deceitful than look unaccomplished.” 

As high school comes to a close, it’s crucial to remember that how much a person is worth cannot be measured by the number of cords draped around their neck. While these cords may symbolize achievements and recognition, they are a small part of the experiences, talents, and virtues that make each of us unique. In a world where it’s easy to prioritize appearance over substance, it’s important to remain truthful and not be swayed by the pressure to conform to superficial standards of success. Instead, celebrate the value of each person’s unique journey, acknowledging the countless unseen hours of effort, the depth of character, and the immeasurable impact of genuine kindness and compassion.