College, Cash, Cows: NAHS Hosts FAFSA Petting Zoo

Ryan Rucker
Billion Dolla Llama: Guess who encouraged hundreds of seniors to complete the FAFSA? This guy!

The cost of attending a college is an important aspect of a student’s decision to attend. Gradual tuition spikes over the last 40 years have resulted in a 170 percent increase in the total spending associated with higher education. In consequence, many students have been struggling with the finalization of their future endeavors. North Atlanta’s College and Career Center has been working diligently to ensure that students take advantage of any scholarships or financial aid opportunities available. Their most recent initiative, promoted as “FAFSA Farm Friends,” was a petting zoo held on April 23.

The College and Career Center’s petting zoo aimed to incentivize the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which awards federal aid to students who demonstrate financial need. Jennifer Anderson, Preciosa Bulauan, O’Tejah McCreath, and Christian Vergara, advisors at the CCC, put serious effort into the event. The team spent months filling out paperwork and making sure that the petting zoo met all requirements. “The petting zoo was definitely one of those things that needed to be planned out well ahead of time,” said Preciosa Bulauan. “It was very important for us to reward our seniors for all of their hard work, while helping them achieve their dreams.”

Over half of North Atlanta’s senior class had the opportunity to attend FAFSA Farm Friends, which took place on the outdoor patio. The students were scheduled to visit based on their lunch periods. Ducklings, goats, guinea pigs, llamas, bunnies, and lizards, were among the animals in attendance. Seniors who found time to stop by the petting zoo have been vocal about their exciting experiences. “The CCC helped me complete my FAFSA prior to the petting zoo, so I was able to give the cute critters my undivided attention,” said senior Luz Carrillo. “Those bunnies literally made all of my senior year stress disappear.”

While FAFSA Farm Friends was only admissible for seniors, its aura spread rapidly throughout the 11-story building. Several underclassmen found themselves hoping to attend, however, due to event restrictions, they were not allowed entry to the senior exclusive event. Current juniors have also expressed interest in the event, hoping for something similar to take place during their senior year. “I saw the petting zoo from the top floor,” said junior Camille Jones. “We need to keep our fingers crossed for something like this to happen next year.”

FAFSA Farm Friends was a great source of encouragement for seniors to complete the FAFSA. The College and Career Center’s financial aid efforts have been greatly appreciated by North Atlanta’s Class of 2024.