Dubs Love Rock ‘n’ Roll: Shaky Knees Music Festival 2024

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Our Heroes: Foo Fighters rock the stage at Shaky Knees Music Festival 2024.

On May 3-5, Shaky Knees Music Festival took over Atlanta’s beloved Central Park. Every spring, the extravaganza, known for its alternative aesthetic, is attended by roughly 40,000 music connoisseurs. Tickets went on sale in November and remained available until April 24. The heavily-anticipated event provided North Atlanta students with something to look forward to following a year of hard work and dedication.

The three-day-long festival was headlined by Noah Kahan, Weezer, Queens of the Stone Age, and Foo Fighters. Other performers include Arcade Fire, girl in red, Billy Idol, Portugal. The Man, Men I Trust, and more. Attendees were extremely satisfied with the line-up. “There was absolutely no way that I was going to pass up on the opportunity to see Benches, Men I Trust, and Weezer, all on the same weekend,” said junior Gabriella Richardson, who is a four-time attendee. “My favorite thing about Shaky Knees is their ability to create a decent line-up.”

After Atlanta’s preceding music festival, Music Midtown, North Atlanta students were hoping that Shaky Knees would bring about a more vibrant and less muddy experience. Unfortunately, the festival was accompanied by similar circumstances as heavy rain resulted in mud, which destroyed outfits and crushed optimism. “The rain got so bad that we literally had to seek shelter at a nearby Publix, where we purchased cool ponchos,” said junior Kendall Lawson, a first-time attendee. “The mud brought my rating of the experience down from a ten to a zero.”

While the musical performances took center stage at Shaky Knees, there were many other gems to be enjoyed. Many attendees brought playing cards and games to enjoy as they waited on the field in between sets. The top-notch eateries were also appreciated. Food vendors included Hattie B’s Hot Chicken, Island Noodles, Taco Girl, Arden’s Garden, Flaming Wok, Greek Tavern, and more. “My unpopular opinion is that the food at Shaky Knees is the most enjoyable part,” said freshman Lizzy Jones. “Me and my concert crew have been obsessing over WookieDogs since we left the park.”

North Atlanta students had an amazing time at the Shaky Knees Music Festival. Despite the heavy rain and mud that transformed the festival grounds into a swamp-like terrain, attendees were able to enjoy themselves and make memories to last a lifetime. Festival enthusiasts have already found themselves anticipating next year’s line-up.