Community Service Chaos

This+summer%2C+North+Atlanta+students+from+Peachtree+Presbyterian+Church+travelled+to+Honduras+and+received+many+of+their+required+community+service+hours.+Left+to+Right%3A+Caroline+Cook%2C+Jack+Mitnitsky%2C+Kit+Burroughs%2C+Avery+Thomas%2C+Caroline+Ballou%2C+Parker+Cook%2C+and+Millie+Long.+

This summer, North Atlanta students from Peachtree Presbyterian Church travelled to Honduras and received many of their required community service hours. Left to Right: Caroline Cook, Jack Mitnitsky, Kit Burroughs, Avery Thomas, Caroline Ballou, Parker Cook, and Millie Long.

We’re all waiting for the day when we walk across the graduation stage and receive our diplomas. But, before students run full speed ahead to the finish line, they have to stop to make sure that they’re on track with graduation requirements. One of these pit stops is community service.

Community service is any voluntary work intended to help people in a particular area outside of school hours. There is a minimum of 75 hours put in place for you to fulfill the half credit that is required. Service can be completed after school, on the weekends, or during the summer; and it can be anything from hosting a can food drive to volunteering at the Georgia Aquarium.

“Community service is vital to student success and it is associated with academic gain,” said Marc Genwright, 10th Grade Academy Counselor. “Students who typically participate in community service do well in school and make a difference in their community,” he said.

Even though the graduation requirement has been mandatory for many years, there has been a lot of speculation buzzing around about the logistics of community service. They’re a handful of students who argue that that obligation should not be mandatory. “If we’re being forced to volunteer, then we’re not really volunteering. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?” said sophomore Regan Nesbit.

FBLA member Cassipea Stith has a different view. “Giving back to the community definitely has its rewards and benefits,” she said. One of the key skills that volunteering teaches is how to operate in a place of business.

Yes, community service can be all fine and dandy, but it has its downfalls. One of the problems associated with community service is the fact that it can be extremely time consuming. Amari Atterberry, sophomore track athlete and AP student, said that between practice and homework filled weekends, it’s hard to fit into her schedule. “We’re already busy. It’s kind of hard to fit in everything,” she said.

No matter how many opinions there are on this one topic, the fact is that community service hours are still required. The best approach is to start early, get them done, and most of all have fun – find something you love and the 75 hours will fly by!