Teen Halloween Dilemma: To Trick Or Treat – Or Not?

Leena+Abar+and+Courtney+Sanford+pose+with+the+well+known+Hersheys+candy+bar+to+show+their+anticipation+for+the+Halloween+season.+

Leena Abar and Courtney Sanford pose with the well known “Hershey’s candy bar” to show their anticipation for the Halloween season.

Tis the season – for trick or treating! Not too many years ago, we all dressed up for Halloween to feed our faces with every manner of sweets. But as we’ve grown up (a bit, right?), we have to confront a seasonal question that now both challenges us and defines us: As young adults, aren’t we too old for trick-or-treating on Halloween?

At what ages do we really have to finally “grow up” and ditch the costumes and binging on candy. According to some North Atlanta students, the answer is: Not yet. “I love Halloween. It’s my favorite holiday!” said sophomore Courtney Nation.

She’s part of a large number of Warriors who are still making plans to celebrate Halloween. Options for the evening include costume parties, Fright Fest at Six Flags and haunted houses like the always-popular Netherworld in Norcross. And – yes – there still are some candy fiends among us who still do the door-to-door thing.

Sophomore Leena Abar said she is caught up in the Halloween spirit and plans on going out seeking candy with friends. Does she feel any shame about being a 15-year-old who still goes trick or treating? Apparently not. “No one is too old for free candy and nobody is too old to have fun,” she said.

But when does it become super lame to be a teenage trick or treater? Junior Ariel Carreras says the cut-off age is 12. Sophomore Amari Atterberry pegged it at 15. Sophomore Andrea Ayala projected her candy-grabbing fun into her collegiate years and said her cut-off date is 22.

Getting older can mean Halloween’s focus starts to shift. Some students, especially those with younger siblings, get to take care of young ghosts and ghouls for the night. Sophomore Courtney Sanford will be accompanying her younger sisters on Halloween. “It is an obligation. They’re little and what if they get hit by a car? It’s all on me,” she said.

It’s clear North Atlanta students have not yet outgrown Halloween. Yes, there could be some future point when trick or treating bags will be retired. Until then, there are Snickers, Hershey’s and Reese’s candies looking for a good home. And we aim to find them.