Snapchat is the New Outlet for Self-Expression

Students+are+constantly+on+applications+such+as+Snapchat+while+teachers+attempt+to+captivate+their+attention.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Students are constantly on applications such as Snapchat while teachers attempt to captivate their attention.

Since the dawn of time, humans have been adept at capturing their memories. Whether it be in writing, cave paintings, or music, there’s always a way to artfully capture the beauty and humor of life. From the random doodles of a bored toddler to the awe-inspiring works of Michelangelo, anyone can be an artist.

Nowadays, seeing the world through another person’s eyes is as easy as opening an app. With more than 100 million active members, Snapchat has been the go-to app for sending funny pictures and videos to friends. The beauty of the app is that each user’s story is a compilation of snapshots from their day, and after 24 hours, they disappear forever.

Instead of posting edited and thought-out pictures on Instagram, a Snapchat story is a lighthearted summary of funny or interesting things the user has seen throughout the day. Lacy Thompson, freshman, likes the app because can see what her friends are doing. “Also when I post things I can make my school day seem fun when really I’d rather be at home,” she said.

There’s a lot to keep you occupied. Celebrities, news and other entertainment can be found in the “Discover” and “Live” sections. With so much content to view and so frequent updates of friends’ stories, it’s no wonder that students spend so much time on their phones.

All the time, North Atlanta students can be seen hovering phones around commotions in the hallway or sneakily taking pictures in class. In fact, there’s a technique to getting a good candid photo and an art to writing the perfect caption. Freshman McKenna Eavenson shared her strategy. “You act like you’re taking a selfie then quickly move the screen to your target,” she explained. “Then you add a funny caption or maybe a pop culture reference.”

However not everyone finds it so funny. Besides the unwitting subject of the snap, teachers also aren’t so amused. It’s common knowledge that teachers don’t appreciate the use of phones during class, but some teachers have a pique when it comes to Snaphat. Akisha Ray, a Literature teacher, gets particularly annoyed. “I can tell when people are using their phones, no one just looks down at their crotch and smiles.” she joked.

There’s still debate as to whether Snapchat is beneficial to today’s youth and the world as a community. Some believe that Snapchat takes away from living in the moment. Instead of experiencing funny or exciting events, people are watching their own lives through a camera lens. Other people praise the fact that the world is now more connected than ever.

Everything is good in moderation, and in the end, kids will always find a way around the restrictions. The app with the little ghost has proved itself to be this generation’s common obsession. So as long as people are staying safe and respectful, they should be free to snap to their hearts’ delight.