Low Levels of Participation for Some SGA Slots

Student+Government+is+responsible+for+school+events%2C+pep+rallies%2C+and+the+Homecoming+Dance.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Student Government is responsible for school events, pep rallies, and the Homecoming Dance.

The people have spoken. At least, the ones who voted have. Results for the Student Government Association (SGA) are in. Congratulations to the winners and condolences to those who tried. Most important of it all, thanks to those Warriors who participated by ticking the ballot boxes, regardless of the outcome.

Many were surprised by one rare result of the polls: a tie. Two sophomore candidates for vice president, Kate Breeden and Lacy Thompson, became co-officers of the North Atlanta High establishment the Monday before last, polling 35 percent of the class vote each. Runner-up Hunter Smith was nearly as close, with 30 percent. The sophomore class were clearly undecided, a true reflection of the current election climate. In contrast to these close races, several others ran unopposed, leaving only one option – though it is true that no one else must have wanted the job.

Meanwhile, sophomore President Clarke Peoples became a veteran SGA member, having held the same title in her freshman year. Juniors were very torn between Chandler Smith and Sloan Hooper, with Smith ultimately pulling ahead. As for the seniors, the presidential honor was awarded to Brenton Nesbit, and Kiana Smith took the freshman one.

Juniors were the only individual grade to have a historian, with Isabella Dobbs filling the role. No one else ran to be their grade’s historian, although sophomore Sherwin McDonald was selected as the overall school’s overall historian. Likewise, no one ran for treasurer in the underclassmen grades, so those two slots will be non-existent this year.

Where’s the school spirit? Frankly, it is disappointing, between the empty slots and uncontested races. When asked, some argue that student government has no real power, others cannot be bothered to vote, and the rest are simply disinterested altogether.

Undeterred by this, the members have taken office and begun planning for the rest of the 2016-2017 school year.

“Homecoming is going to be out of this world – and for the first time, out of this school,” said Thompson, the aforementioned sophomore co-vice president. “It’s really an honor to have been elected, and thanks to those voted for me.”

Other SGA members added that there are other events they will be involved in, including hallway decorations, Powder Puff, and pep rallies. “It’s going to be a great year,” said Thompson.