More Than 20 North Atlanta Seniors Admitted to Tech

Olivia Chewning

Accepted to Tech: (From left to right) Jack Sheldon, Millie Long, Mitch Gerding, and Richard Hill

Georgia Tech is one of the most selective colleges, not just in our state but also in the country. With students from around the globe competing to earn one of the limited spots in the upcoming freshmen year it shows great determination to be one of the few accepted in. So it’s an impressive academic achievement when any high school admits a large number of students. And that high school — yet again — is North Atlanta High School. The Class of 2018 has earned the noteworthy milestone of having 22 seniors early admitted to Tech.

Being the esteemed college that it is, Georgia Tech is high on the list for some of North Atlanta’s top academic students. With an acceptance rate of 25 percent Tech is picky about which students are allowed in. For most students, even our school’s best, the selectivity of the school is intimidating. “I was nervous and felt like if I didn’t get in everyone would be disappointed,” said senior Elizabeth Mori.

The senior said she was relieved and excited when she got word of her acceptance on January 14.   

The feeling of getting into one of the best schools in the country is overwhelming and creates a mix of excitement and anticipation for the years to come. “I was very surprised cause my dad went there and it is very competitive so I was not expecting to get in,” said senior Millie Long.

The number of acceptances for regular decision comes out toward the end of March and it’s expected that the number of admits from North Atlanta will match the early-admit numbers. Having such a impressive number of Tech admit speaks volumes about the quality of a North Atlanta education said, Taylor Thomas, an advisor in the school’s College and Career Center. “The seniors this year are very smart, intelligent, go-getters who are going to thrive in college,” she said.

Georgia Tech is one of the best schools in the country. Students from all over the world attend this prestigious school and that makes it even harder for students to get in. Students work hard throughout their entire high school career in hopes of being one of the few that get accepted. North Atlanta students continue to impress Georgia Tech and will continue to impress them long into the future.