Plant Based Eating Takes Root At North Atlanta

Plant based diets have bursted in popularity in the past couple years, and continue to pull more and more people into the lifestyle. In these diets, people cut out meat, as well as animal products, depending on their beliefs. Many students at North Atlanta choose to be vegetarian or vegan, and agree that it’s an integrall part of who they are.

Vegetarian and vegan students at North Atlanta have a lot of different reasons for choosing this lifestyle, ranging from animal rights to health reasons. Sophomore Julia Pabian explained her choice to stop eating meat, saying “I became vegetarian because of how awful animals are treated and the fact that they all deserve to live.” Other plant based high schoolers agree, saying they love knowing that they’re saving animal lives. Others discussed that they cut meat because it was healthier for them.

Choosing to stop eating meat has changed a lot for North Atlanta students. Sophomore Soleil Golden commented on this, saying “I’m happier with my body, I have more energy, and my health has improved!” Others agreed, sharing about the impact vegetarianism and veganism has had in their life. Junior Avery Culp, a pescetarian, commented on the change it’s made for her, saying “I eat so much healthier now and I’m also a more adventurous eater.” The changes have been evident in these plant eater’s lives for varied amounts of time, but some are going on four or more years of no meat.  

Plant eaters at NAHS are passionate about their meat free lifestyles, and are proud to share the impact it’s made for them.  When interviewed, many spoke words of encouragement to non-vegetarians to be have an open mind about their meat consumption, and possibly try out a more plant based lifestyle. Sophomore Sydney Jones motivated meat eaters, saying, “The food we eat is important and has a lot of control over your day! It’s your fuel, and you should make sure you’re fueled with food that makes you happy.” So meat eater or not, North Atlanta students, rejoice, because we can all make a difference one plant at a time!