Fake “Finsta” Accounts become a Source for Real Online Drama

Shakay Agasarkisian

Social Media Mayhem: Sophomores Nick Olmstead and Cole Bickerstaff catch up on the latest tea from Instagram.

Who knew spam could be more than just trash? Teens have been shaking up the social media interface with a new use for the popular app, Instagram. What once was a place to share photos has now become a place where teens can vent about their life in a private format.

Spam accounts have quite literally spammed social media. A “spam account” or “finsta” is a private account that people make with the intention of letting only close friends follow so that they can post funny videos, memes, or just let off steam. Instead of being more streamlined and selective like social media accounts that attempt to curate a large following, finstas are more private and very selective about their followers.

Instagram posts are often more surface level and only show the good times and exciting moments people experience in life. As a result finstas have changed Instagram’s atmosphere and content to make it more personable. “Finstas are convenient because you can post funny stuff you won’t post on your main without being judged,” said sophomore Maddi Riddick-Seals.

While some posts may be more targeted toward humor, lots of teens post things that sometimes stir up “Gossip Girl”-esque drama. Some even feel the need to create different accounts based on how they filter their audience of followers.

“Spam accounts are a way for teens to indirectly or directly call people out or just talk about how bad their lives are,” said sophomore Nick Olmstead. “ I feel like now there are multiple levels to spam accounts: the fun spam account, the serious spam account, and the really dark secretive spam.”

While most Gen. Z-ers are on board with this secretive form of blogging, some are quite against it. Despite posting reject photos on spams and the occasional meme, some posts can be too provocative. “Spam accounts are a waste of time because people just use them to diss people,” said junior Isaiah Hiley.

Hiley, like many, doesn’t like the negative atmosphere that spam accounts can bring. “I do not have a spam account but I do follow all of them just to get all of the tea,” said Hiley.

Even though they may bring controversy, it is evident by their large accumulation spam accounts have become a great source of entertainment. Whether or not you like one or have one it is clear that they won’t go out of style soon.