Filed under Lifestyle, Showcase

North Atlanta Car Kids and Their Tricked-Out Rides

Jacked Up: Junior Pano Karatassos is ready to rumble -- and also for any off-road mudding adventure -- in his 2017 Jeep Wrangler.

Patrick Hannan

Patrick Hannan

Like many Americans, North Atlanta students have shown a strong passion for their cars. From speedy hot rods to hefty all-terrain vehicles and everything in between, a vast variety of customized cars can be found throughout the North Atlanta parking deck.

Of all the different cars, many of the Warriors can be seen driving around in their Jeep Wranglers, including several that have been tricked out with various modifications. A standout in this Jeep brigade is junior Pano Karatassos. For Karatassos, his 2017 Jeep Wrangler is equipped with a four-and-one-half-inch lift, 35-inch mud tires, a wench, Teraflex suspension, and rigid lights on the sides. Not only does this have add aesthetic value, but it also enhances the functionality of Karatassos’ off-roader. “My friends and I like to go mudding in our cars so I need these modifications to do that and stay safe,” Karatassos said. “Plus, it looks pretty cool, too.”

Several students can be heard speeding out of the parking deck in their loud hot rods when the bell hits 3:45 p.m. Of the Warriors with the need for speed is senior Antonio Catchings, who owns a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT. Currently, Catchings car has dual twin exhaust pipes, and he plans on adding new springs, a pro shifter and a tune up in order to enhance the sound, elevation and speed of his car. “These mods are a must for any hot rod,” Catchings said. “You can’t call it a hot rod if it isn’t fast or loud.”

While some students make their commutes to and from North Atlanta is some of the bigger, faster vehicles, others possess classically vintage rides. Junior Lee Evans certainly falls into this category with his 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Originally his dad’s during his college days, this ride has been through many adventures. After the failure of its emergency brakes, the car rolled to the bottom of a hill where it was totalled.

However, with some diligent repair work, the car was gifted to Evans as a birthday present. Although it has its flaws, Evans’ station wagon is among the most unique and vintage cars in the parking deck. “Sometimes I have trouble driving it, like when I still have one-quarter of a tank of gas but my engine still stops,” Evans said. “But I still enjoy driving my car a lot because it is not a car you see every day.”

North Atlanta student-drivers love their cars, and with some of these modifications, these cars are among the biggest, fastest, and safest vehicles across Atlanta. Whether it is a mammoth Jeep, a swift Mitsubishi, or even an old-school station wagon, tricked-out vehicles are becoming the in thing out in the school’s parking deck.

For these drivers, boring would be the ultimate driving accident.