Stephen Lawrence Named 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year

Bethany Creaven

Top Teach: Orchestra instructor Stephen Lawrence, a member of the Class of 2003, came home to teach at his alma mater. This year, the dynamic teacher was named North Atlanta’s teacher of the year.

Orchestra instructor Stephen Lawrence is known for his hard-working nature, determination and fun personality in the classroom. His students are able to excel in his classes and in his musical ensembles through his dynamic instructional methods.

Lawrence grew up in Atlanta and is coincidentally a North Atlanta High School alumni as a members of the Class of 2003. Since his middle school years, he said he’s had a passion for orchestral music. “I loved how different it was from my regular classes,” he said. “Music is 100 percent hands on. It requires creativity, discipline and always provides you with space to keep growing.”

To facilitate his musical passion, did his undergraduate studies at Loyola University New Orleans where he majored in music education with a specialization in string pedagogy. For graduate school, he attended the University of Georgia where he received a master’s degree in music education.  

Coming from a family of teachers, Lawrence was surrounded by preschool owners and even a former Atlanta Public Schools superintendent growing up. “It’s in our blood and we take a lot of pride in the profession,” he said.

Lawrence has been teaching for a total of 10 years and six of those years have been at North Atlanta. He started teaching at Joseph C. Wilson Academy in Rochester, New York. He moved back to Georgia and before coming home to North Atlanta, he taught at at Lovejoy High School in Clayton County. Before teaching, Lawrence worked in the fashion industry in stores such as Abercrombie and Fitch, Express, Aldo, and Coach Leather.

Among his students there is widespread devotion to Lawrence and a deep appreciation for his highly energized teaching style. “He is very hard working and he pushes us to accomplish our goals which gives the class a boost of confidence,” said senior Shakay Agasarkisian.

Along with students’ musical development, Lawrence plays a role in their growth as a person. “Every victory a student has, no matter how big or small, is a victory that we share,” Lawrence said, “It’s the best feeling know that I played a part in someone’s growth.”

Along with his busy schedule as teacher of seven different courses, Lawrence is involved in several professional memberships and responsibilities such as the Georgia Music Educators Association District V Chair, the American String Teachers Association GA Chapter Secretary, the APS Lead Orchestra Teacher, the APS Honors Orchestra Organizer and the North Atlanta Fine and Performing Arts Department Chair.

It is because of his ability to create an inspiring classroom environment, extensive involvement in the school, and passion for the subject matter that Lawrence was chosen as North Atlanta’s 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year.

The announcement was one he said surprised him and he said he was thrilled to be so honored by his peers. “I hope to be a great representation of one of the best schools APS has to offer,” he said.