Filed under Lifestyle, Showcase

Students of Excellence Creates Leaders and Changes Lives

Successful+Scholars%3A+Sophomores+Payton+Jones+and+Briya+Simpson+enjoy+being+a+part+of+the+Students+of+Excellence+after+school+club.+
Successful Scholars: Sophomores Payton Jones and Briya Simpson enjoy being a part of the Students of Excellence after school club.

Olivia Elgison

Olivia Elgison

Students of Excellence is an after-school program at North Atlanta that not many students seem to know about. While its name doesn’t give many details on what goes on in the club, there is a wide variety of activities it has to offer. Antoine Everhart-Chapelle, the faculty sponsor for Students of Excellence, is always eager to share details about what the club is accomplishing.

Students of Excellence offers so many opportunities to students that it’s difficult to give one single description that encapsulates what it’s all about. Everhart himself has a hard time describing the club that he is in charge of due to its huge variety of activities. “It’s so hard when people ask things like ‘What is Students of Excellence?’, or ‘What do you do in it?’” he said. “There’s just so much that goes on in every meeting.”

Despite the large amount of activities that the club provides, it has a single goal: to push club participants to strive to be better. This ethos is reflected in the club’s motto, “Creating leaders while changing lives.” Everhart aims to carry out this motto in every meeting of the Students of Excellence. “We want students to have a source of encouragement from peers as well as mentors in areas where they may have weaknesses,” he said.  

Just a few of the activities that Students of Excellence has to offer are guest speakers, college tutoring, and open discussions on social and political topics. “So much happens that every meeting is it’s its own meeting,” Everhart said. “We may have a guest speaker one meeting, and another meeting we may be talking about racial tensions in the school. The only thing that is the same every week is that there is guaranteed to be free food.”

Students in the club say that meetings provide an open space where they can explore topics that are not expansively touched upon in class. “We really get into the thick of things, of what’s relevant to us,” said sophomore Payton Jones. “This is where you can be yourself and talk about the things that really matter to you.”

Sophomore Briya Simpson confirmed her friend’s take on their shared club. “The feeling among all of us is that this is a safe place and we’re free to open up our hearts and to support each other,” she said. “You can’t help but be inspired by those around you when you see them striving to be there best.”

Students of Excellence is a club open to those looking to improve themselves and striving to do their best. The club is also a great place for those interested in discussing and learning about interesting political and social topics not taught in school.

The club is always looking to add new members who are curious about what they have to gain by joining. Anyone who is interested in joining Students of Excellence can visit Everhart in room 7161 to learn more details about the fun and inspirational club.