Filed under Lifestyle, Showcase

Sitting Out or Taking a Stand for The Pledge Of Allegiance

To+Sit+or+Stand%2C+That+Is+the+Question%3A+Sophomores+Mark+O%E2%80%99Meara+and+Graham+Barnett+choose+to+either+sit+or+stand+for+the+morning+Pledge+of+Allegiance.+

To Sit or Stand, That Is the Question: Sophomores Mark O’Meara and Graham Barnett choose to either sit or stand for the morning Pledge of Allegiance.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

We hear it every morning over the announcements: “Please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.” These words have become a part of every student’s routine. However, many have found themselves unwilling to get out of their seats for this phrase. These students have strong opinions on whether they should stand or sit during the pledge.

Some students at North Atlanta feel that it is inappropriate or disrespectful to sit for the Pledge of Allegiance, but many, for many different reasons, feel that they shouldn’t have to stand if they don’t have to. This notion has become important to many students because of various personal reasons, political reasons, or some simply because they don’t want to stand from their desks.

While it is true that a large amount of students who don’t stand for the pledge stay sitting because they can’t be bothered to stand, there is a small minority who don’t entirely agree with its message. Sophomore Stella Thrasher thinks that some of it should be changed if she is going to stand for it. “I don’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance because I don’t think it’s fair to include words like ‘under God.’” she said. “Not every American believes that, especially with different religions, and I don’t think it should include phrases like that which don’t encompass everyone.”

While many students have strong opinions on the matter, others choose to remain neutral. Sophomore Beau Shade doesn’t lean one way or another on the issue, but she understands where other students are coming from. “I think other people don’t stand up for it because it was written a long time ago and a lot has changed since then, and I do agree that some phrasing could be changed.” she said. ”Of course, it could also just be because it’s so early in the morning and they don’t feel like standing. Even I don’t feel like getting up sometimes.”

Whether because of political reasons or out of laziness, many students are grateful that they have the choice to stay seated for the Pledge of Allegiance. Since it is not a requirement to stand, there is no punishment for choosing not to. So while not everyone is trying to make a statement, everyone is enforcing their right to choose whether or not they want to take the pledge seriously.