Filed under Lifestyle, Showcase

North Atlanta Students Embrace the Great Outdoors

Rooted+in+Nature%3A+Juniors+Ethan+Staats%2C+Lily+Mason%2C+and+Molly+Neel+have+found+their+true+calling+among+nature%2C+whether+it%27s+working+outdoorsy+jobs%2C+becoming+involved+in+nature+organizations%2C+or+even+starting+their+own+outdoor+clubs.+

Rooted in Nature: Juniors Ethan Staats, Lily Mason, and Molly Neel have found their true calling among nature, whether it's working outdoorsy jobs, becoming involved in nature organizations, or even starting their own outdoor clubs.

Bailey Diamond

Bailey Diamond

Bailey Diamond

North Atlanta holds many unique personalities in its halls, from artists to athletes, and everything in between. One prominent group among these are the tree huggers of our high school. This environmentally friendly crowd definitely has a distinct passion for the outdoors, and they pursue it both at school and away.

These nature lovers have sought to share their excitement for the outdoors with other students by starting clubs and creating opportunities for them to spend time outside. One earthy club at North Atlanta is E-Club. Currently run by seniors Keeley Fitzsimmons and Avery Culp, it centers in on environmentally focused community service. “Avery and I are both very aware of the growing issues our beautiful Earth is facing and feel it’s our duty to spread environmental awareness,” said Fitzsimmons.

Other nature-centric clubs have also sprouted at North Atlanta, ranging from Hiking Club to Sailing Club. “The Sailing Club provides a new opportunity to get outside,” said Junior Ethan Staats, the club’s founder. “It’s fun to get to hang out at the lake and enjoy the sport of sailing.”

As a result of clubs like these, an appreciation for nature has spread like wildfire through North Atlanta. 

It’s no secret that this crowd is intent on making time for nature in their personal lives. Many of these students also have outdoorsy jobs, or are involved in outdoor clubs and organizations. Junior Molly Neel enjoys spending time outside and has made a point to include the outdoors in her life away from school. “I try to make time for hiking and camping when I have free weekends since I like it so much,” said Neel.

Many students have found great opportunities for earning money through their outdoorsy spirit. Junior Lily Mason started a job at Atlanta Rocks in Buckhead this year, and has loved getting to have a job rooted in an outdoor focused activity. “I’ve always loved the outdoors, but I was never super into climbing,” said Mason. “Working at Atlanta Rocks has been a great way to enjoy a new outdoor activity.”

These nature lovers have undoubtedly made their mark on North Atlanta, and continue to share a respect for the environment that runs deep. Whether they’re backpacking, planting trees, or gearing up for rock climbing, these outdoorsy spirits will keep making steps towards a better future for Mother Earth.