Filed under Lifestyle, Showcase

Shhh, Quiet! Library Volunteers Go By the Book

Library+Mice%3A+Senior+Ashley+Foster+volunteers+at+the+media+center+regularly+by+checking+in+and+out+books%2C+sorting+through+the+papers%2C+helping+other+students%2C+sorting+through+books%2C+and+managing+various+other+tasks.+

Library Mice: Senior Ashley Foster volunteers at the media center regularly by checking in and out books, sorting through the papers, helping other students, sorting through books, and managing various other tasks.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

Some students at North Atlanta avoid the library like the plague; the North Atlanta library volunteers spend their freetime there! These “volunteens”– teen volunteers– come in during their downtime and help with activities around the library to help keep it in order for students and teachers.

Students who volunteer in the library come during lunch, before school, or if they have downtime during class (with a pass of course). They help with normal library responsibilities such as reshelving books, keeping the library clean, and checking in/out books. They do most tasks that a librarian would. “They do a little bit of everything and I couldn’t run the library without them,” said Media Specialist Lori McCall.

Not only do these students help when it comes to books but they also help students with technology related problems. Whether a student needs help printing or even getting the computer to turn on the library, volunteers will be there to save the day. “You would be surprised how many students have trouble even just printing something out,” said senior Ashley Foster.

These students must submit an application much like when getting a job, with recommendations and some form of previous experience. Students either receive community service hours for their work or become student interns and work in the library as a part of their work-based learning.

Most of the “volunteens” have a passion for reading and enjoy spending their free time surrounded by books. “I love the environment mostly because I love reading and Ms. McCall makes it fun to volunteer,” said junior Taylor Walker.

McCall is thankful to have these students helping her around the library. Whether they are working for community service hours or doing it as a part of work-based learning, they work hard to make sure the library is ready and prepared for students and teachers alike.