Juniors Get a Taste of the College Life Through School Tours

West Coast Stop: Junior Kennedy Johnston tours University of California, Los Angeles in order to prepare for next years grind of college applications and ask meaningful questions to create her college choices.

Tahira Johnston

West Coast Stop: Junior Kennedy Johnston tours University of California, Los Angeles in order to prepare for next year’s grind of college applications and ask meaningful questions to create her college choices.

While many juniors feel like their time at North Atlanta has just started, the reality is that college is just around the corner. However, before deciding where they want to go to college, these students have to figure out where they want to apply. Since this is major life decision, many feel that simply learning about a school from their website or a college fair just won’t do. The solution: taking college tours.

Getting to these tours can range from just driving down the street to Georgia Tech to flying across the country to visit out-of-state schools. While traveling to look at a campus can get expensive, many argue that it’s worth the costs. “University of Southern California wasn’t on my radar for the longest time,” said junior Kennedy Johnston. “However, after I actually stepped foot on the campus, I realized that I could easily see myself studying there.”

Like Johnston, many juniors have realized a college might not always look great on paper, but it can have a completely different feel in reality. Unfortunately, other juniors have found the opposite to be true. “I thought I would love Wake Forest but it did not have the vibe I was looking for,” said junior Mickyla Ward. “I am glad I toured it though because it gave me a better idea of what I did want.”

Some like participating in college tours because they allow students to picture themselves after high school, living on their own and being able to study what they’re interested in. Additionally, exploring a college campus on foot can provide students some much needed inspiration. “I love walking around college campuses. It helps me to visualize what I am working towards,” said junior Natalie McNamara.

Whether you already knew your dream school from day one or you’re still figuring out where you want to go, chances are you’ve taken a college tour somewhere along the way. While these tours are short, often only an hour long, they can be infinitely helpful in assisting students in making choices about their future that will affect them for years to come.