Gaming Club Soon To Be A Part Of North Atlanta

Olivia Elgison

Gaming Galore: Sophomore Dauthier Debe is one of the club founder of the Gaming Club, an increasingly popular platform for North Atlanta gamers.

Esports has majorly grown in popularity since the introduction of competitive video games. So much so, that it has become an official sport among many high schools. A group of students is currently trying to bring a gaming club to North Atlanta, with hopes of becoming part of the high school esports league.

So what exactly is the deal with esports? To sum it up, esports is an event where competitors play video games while being watched by a live audience. More often than not, matches are streamed online, which draws in millions more viewers. According to a recent World Economic Forum article, the the sport will soon be a $1 billion business with a global audience of more than 300 million fans.

The idea that sophomore club founders Dauthier Debe and Davis Carter have for the gaming club combine both casual and competitive gaming. While they do hope to create a competitive esports team, they also want the gaming club to be a fun place for friends to have fun and play games together, from games on PC to PlayStation, Xbox, and the Nintendo Switch.  “For the more casual aspect, we want people to be able to bring their own gaming equipment and just have fun playing together,” said Carter.

The competitive side of the club may be harder to put together. In order to compete locally, enough students have to be interested and have the proper equipment and skills to form a team. Not to mention, the club will need additional funding if they want to be able to participate. “We’re still trying to get funding from the school or some other source for the competitive aspect,” said Carter. “If we do end up competing, we plan on focusing on games like Overwatch or CS:GO.”

Whether you’re a competitive gamer who wants to show off your skills, or a casual player who just wants to hang out and play with friends, the gaming club will be a great place for anyone who loves video games. From Super Smash Bros to Rainbow Six Siege, the club will have a multitude of games for everyone to enjoy. The club will be open to anyone and everyone, so if you’re interested in joining then spread the word and support the club in its endeavors to bring video gaming to North Atlanta.