Mu Alpha Theta Lets Math Whizzes Give Back

M.A.T.H%3A+Seniors+Jake+Churchill+and+Quint+Gfroerer+represent+the+school+Mu+Alpha+Theta+club+through+math+tutorials+and+competitions.+

Nicole Spektor

M.A.T.H: Seniors Jake Churchill and Quint Gfroerer represent the school Mu Alpha Theta club through math tutorials and competitions.

Of all of the subjects taught at North Atlanta, few inspire the same amount fear and confusion as mathematics. However some gifted students have decided to take their math out of the classroom and to the next level by joining the Math honors society, Mu Alpha Theta.

The students of North Atlanta’s Mu Alpha Theta honor society spend their extra time tutoring students and participating in math competitions. The club offers students, who excel in and enjoy math, the opportunity to work with other students who have the same interests and extend their help to those for whom math is not the easiest endeavor.

North Atlanta first received the Mu Alpha Theta charter in 1994, but the club was inactive until around 2013 when Nancy Hunter, head of the math department, decided to form the club. It has since grown significantly and now boasts more than 50 members. “I was excited to have another way besides just classroom experience where students could pursue their interest in mathematics,” said Hunter.

Mu Alpha Theta members spend most of their time tutoring fellow students in topics such as geometry and algebra. Members visit teacher’s tutorials after school and help students complete problems and study. They also spend time competing in math competitions. In the coming weeks they will participate in MathCON, an online event. North Atlanta’s performance in this cold mean a team berth for an even bigger MathCon event that will be held later this year in Chicago. Top math performers can even vie for college scholarships.

To join the club a student must have completed geometry and have an average of 80 or above in all of their math classes since the eighth grade. Once inducted into Mu Alpha Theta, students are required to participate in math competitions and tutor students at least eight times a year. “Mu Alpha Theta is beyond just peer tutoring, said senior Kimberly Wennerholm, the group’s president. “We have a passion for math and we encourage our members to participate in math competitions for prizes and for fun.”

Mu Alpha Theta is always welcoming new members and if you’re interested in math, this is the club for you. This club is a great opportunity for those who perform well in math class to give back to those who struggle with the subject. Those interested should speak to Hunter in room 4113. It all “adds up” to a great experience.