Environmental Activism Reigns Supreme: NAHS Students Go Green

Dennis Racket

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Sophomores Lena Hoover and Sophia Haines team up with friends to advocate for environmental change.

NAHS students have made it clear that environmental activism is important to them, and in recent months, a multitude of students have been engaging in different ways of helping the environment. Regardless of the way in which they do so, many of them have joined forces with other students in hopes of fomenting change, raising awareness, and ultimately making our planet a better place. 

Vegans, vegetarians, and pescatarians throughout North Atlanta cite environmentalism as one of their main reasons for not eating meat. According to them, many of the issues afflicting our planet stem from meat consumption. By refraining from eating meat, they are fighting against the gradual destruction of Earth as we know it. Less greenhouse gas emissions, reduction of animal cruelty, and decreased contamination of water sources are just three of the many environmental benefits of a meat-free diet. “Meat production on a mass scale is inhumane,” said sophomore Ella Kaufman, who was vegan for two years, pescatarian for another few, and recently transitioned back to veganism. “I strongly disagree with the industry and feel that it is far too harmful to our environment.”

Other North students are helping the environment through local organizations, some school-based, some not. One key initiative is Georgia For The Planet, which is a youth led organization advocating for climate justice in Georgia. Multiple students at North Atlanta are members of it, including Lena Hoover, Zoe Glickman, Olivia Schramkowski, and Sophia Haines, among others. In addition, North Atlanta clubs like the Environmental club also work toward ecological change. Participating in such organizations has a positive impact on the environment. 

Climate change organizations and removing meat from your diet aren’t the only ways to achieve environmental change. Recycling and composting can be done at home without any prior knowledge, and especially for those with less time on their hands, recycling is a plausible avenue of environmental activism. By reprocessing waste materials for usage in new products, people who recycle are making significant change. Composting, while more time-consuming, is extremely effective in reducing waste production and thus greenhouse gas emissions. “I just started composting a few weeks ago, but so far I’ve already reduced a lot of my family’s food waste,” said sophomore Lena Hoover. 

Helping the environment appears to be a key goal of NAHS students. Be it an altered diet, recycling and composting, or participating in local initiatives, these students are determined to make a difference in their community and world.