Senior Jayda Changar Dances Her Way to the Top

Dancing, in and of itself, embodies the art of self expression and entertainment. For senior Jayda Changar, an ambitious and creative Warrior at North Atlanta, dancing had always been a point of passion for her. Starting at the tender age of two, in grand New York City, the metropolis where she was born, Changar has steadily worked her way to the top. And her vast achievements only emphasise the determination and resolve she possesses. 

For Changer her day starts before the sun has a chance to shine. She shines in its place! Waking up early for a morning exercise is the staple part of her day before first light. Then it’s off to school where Changar spends her time dedicated to her school work. Beyond her dance work, she is the embodiment of an active student and her non-dance related schedule might have her attending either the school’s Environmental Club and Black Student Union meetings where she is a frequent and active presence. The weekends hold a new world for her as she continues with her passion through foundation dancing practice at her base studio, the Atlanta Resource for Entertainment and Arts studio in Buckhead.“Sometimes I like to focus on myself and my weekend classes at the studio allow for that,” she said.  

Changar is the captain of the school’s prestigious and selective NA Dance Company. She also acts as the president of the Dance Department Council and co- president of the North Atlanta chapter of the National Honors Society for Dance Arts. Of this remarkable young woman it truly can be said she does it all. She’s an all star who’s heading for the top and knows what it takes to get there.

Her college aspirations are to study dance at either Howard University in Washington, D.C., or the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla. But while she’s rounding out a strong high school run, her perseverance and stunning flexibility on and off the stage is something to marvel at. Her artistic discipline is something that she excels at but it’s also something that she said defines her. “More than anything else I do, dancing gives me a chance to really express myself.” Changar said.

North Atlanta dance instructor Tamara Irving views Changar as one of the pre-eminent stars of the school’s dance program and envisions for her pupil a sterling professional career that will reach the heights of the profession. After having taught her for four years and watching her grow, Irving is satisfied to see how far Changar has come. “She’s patient, giving, and nothing short of stellar,” Irving said. “Any idea I give her she runs with it. All around Jayda is an extraordinary student of mine.” 

For some dance is not viewed as a high art but as merely a trivial pastime. But anyone who sees Changar’s dynamic elegance and elevated expression can see that dance reaches the sublime. In our midst, she’s a true rising star. Get to know her name: It will become renowned in the years to come.