Chicago Musical Razzles and Dazzles Audience With Outstanding Performances

Caroline Feagin

“Chicago” really was “All That Jazz.” Audiences were blown away by the amazing performances by all members of the cast.

Well, it looks like another school musical has seen huge success! “Chicago: High School Edition” debuted to North Atlanta students on Friday, March 11, showcasing months of hard work from diligent students and faculty members alike. Standing ovations and fierce applause were staples of the evening’s events. With stunning performances from senior leads McKenna Weinbaum and Sparrow Nicole, “Chicago” exceeded everyone’s expectations of what school musicals can (and should) be.
The week leading up to the musical was hectic to say the least. While spring rehearsals generally last about two hours long from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m, tech week is its own battle. Students were expected to stay until 8 p.m. for the days leading up until the musical. To say it was a strenuous week would be an understatement. “Tech week is very tiring, but it’s well worth the wait,” said sophomore Jackson Young.
Though the week was exhausting, the night students had been waiting for finally arrived. After nearly two years away, the North student body clearly embraced the live performance. The musical sold out completely on Friday night and drew spirited audiences for the other two performances as well. “It was really encouraging to see so many people come out to support the musical,” said junior Will Langley. “I missed having it last year because of COVID and it’s so nice to see that so many people were also excited for the musical to come back.”
But alas, all good things must come to an end, and come to an end “Chicago” did. The last performance was on Saturday, March 12, and was a tear-filled but spectacular performance from everyone. Class of 2022 have to say their goodbyes to their beloved theater program. Director Liane Lemaster is sad to see this chapter in the seniors’ lives come to a close, but hopeful for their future. “All of these students are so talented and dedicated, and it is the gift of my professional career to be able to share their growth as scholars, theater artists, and human beings,” she said.
While it is sad to see the seniors go (the first of many final memories as they approach graduation), they will forever be a part of the legacy that is the North Atlanta Theater Program. And for all of the non-seniors, next year’s musical is sure to be just as much of a success as “Chicago” was.