Cellist Valldejuli To Play At Carnegie Hall

North Atlanta orchestral member played at Carnegie Hall.

Performing at Carnegie Hall in New York City is a musician’s greatest honor. Many talented performers work their whole lives to bring their career to this point. To be given this amazing opportunity at age 17, however, is awe-inspiring. On February 7, North Atlanta’s very own Ricci Valldejuli will take the stage.

Valldejuli, who has been playing the cello since 3rd grade, has lots of performing experience, including playing at Spivey Hall and trying out for the All-State Orchestra division. He was approached by orchestra director Stephen Lawrence with the information that the National High School Honors Orchestra (NHSHO) had chosen North Atlanta as a school to audition and told them to pick one student to take advantage of the opportunity. Valldejuli is the first-ever North Atlanta student to ever accomplish this incredible honor.

The audition process was surprisingly simple, according to Valldejuli. All one had to do was record themselves performing a piece the NHSHO sent to them. “This is a really big deal,” said Lawrence.

Of the 18,000 high school students who applied, only 750 were chosen to be a part of the 2016 NHSHO. “I was shocked. I didn’t expect to get in. There were so many people who auditioned who have been playing cello for much longer than I have. It being a national audition, it was a huge honor,” said Valldejuli on being accepted into the program.

Being accepted into such a high-level orchestral ensemble not only shows the talents of Valldejuli, it is also is a display of what it means to be a North Atlanta Warrior.