Warrior Wire’s Warrior Sports Moments of the Year

Dubs+for+Dubs%3A+The+2021+sports+year+has+been+one+of+many+highlights+across+many+Warriors+sports+teams.+Sportswriter+Henry+Peck+took+on+the+daunting+task+of+ranking+these+events.+On+April+15%2C+members+of+the+Warrior+boys+soccer+team+mob+team+striker+Jordin+Chavez+after+he+scores+in+the+team%E2%80%99s+3-to-0+playoff+victory+over+South+Effingham.+

Dave Quick

Dubs for Dubs: The 2021 sports year has been one of many highlights across many Warriors sports teams. Sportswriter Henry Peck took on the daunting task of ranking these events. On April 15, members of the Warrior boys soccer team mob team striker Jordin Chavez after he scores in the team’s 3-to-0 playoff victory over South Effingham.

2021-2022 has truly been the year of the Dubs. From towering home runs and electrifying, game-winning goals to deep playoff runs and state championships, North Atlanta athletics became a force across all sports. In a year with so many “dubs,” which moments rank among the best?

Honorable Mention: North Atlanta Wrestling dominates Lakeside High with a strong 79-6 showing. (1-10-22) 

With all the successes North Atlanta experienced this year, there had to be some that did not make the cut. The Wrestling Warriors pinned Lakeside High School and held them to only 6 total points while being awarded 79.

#10: Men’s Basketball beats Midtown High in razor-close fashion, 58-55 on the road. (11-16-21)

It is always nice to beat our cross-town rivals over at Midtown High School, but doing it on the road and in electrifying, down-to-the-wire fashion, always makes it more a memorable moment. 

#9: Dubs Drop 52 points en route to a 38-point win over Morrow High School in an explosive Friday night showing. (10-29-21)

The student section was rocking as the Dubs, led by a 378 all-purpose yard performance by quarterback Trey Lennon, decimated the Morrow Mustangs. An interception and a fumble by the defense kept the offense on the field, leading to a simply mesmerizing offensive outburst. 

#8: NAHS softball shutouts Lovejoy in doubleader, putting up an impressive 37 runs across the two games. 

“Let’s play two!” The North Atlanta softball team swept the season series against Lovejoy in dominating fashion. Senior Sara Reynolds, junior Cece Smith, and sophomores Leela Langston and Taylor Ryan all batted an incredible 1.000 from the plate across the two games, giving pitchers freshman Charlotte Smith and junior Smith plenty of insurance. These two games were part of the path to an undefeated regional record for the 6A region 4 regular season champs. 

#7: Diamond Dubs have a 48-to-5 run differential in a dominant 3-game series against Lovejoy. 

The guys picked up where the Lady Dubs left off, sweeping the three-game series against Lovejoy in a commanding manner. The games included gems thrown by Georgia Tech commit junior Antonio Anderson, sophomore Sam Neal, and junior Gunnar Plante. The team never took their foot of the gas and was capped off by a homerun by senior outfielder Chace Boines in game three. 

#6: NAHS men’s soccer has strong round-one showing in state playoffs against South Effingham with 3-0 shutout.

If you know anything about the men’s soccer team at North Atlanta you know their motto, “Go Fuerte”, and in round one of the playoffs the team “fue fuerte.” The defense was suffocating and offensively, junior striker Jordan Chavez put the team on his back and found the back of the net three times against the Mustangs. 

#5: North Atlanta women’s golf team extends Cinderella story season into state championship after placing third in sectionals. 

After being underrepresented in the sport for far too long, the North Atlanta women’s golf team has qualified for state championships for the first time in the school’s history. State championships are May 16-17, but the team’s performance up to this point is already worthy of recognition. 

#4: NAHS Women’s tennis looking to run the table and claim the state championship after a dominant showing against Lasiter in the Final Four.  

Girl’s tennis, led by seniors Francie Coleman, Leeza Kurtz, and Isabel Carter went 3-0 in sets against Lasiter to advance to the 6A State Championship against Centennial. The Dubs will look to expand the trophy case on May 14, so go support your Warriors!

#3: Water Warriors take home APS Championship in January to open up 2022.

The North Atlanta swim team, better known as the “Water Warriors,” capped off their historic season with an APS Championship trophy. The Dubs dominated on every stroke, from freestyle and butterfly, and added yet another 1st place trophy to an already full trophy case.  

#2:  NAHS claim regional title (first since 2015-16) in dominant 10-0 shutout against Morrow High School and caps off regular season with undefeated regional record.

The girls soccer team was dominant since the season began and when the lights shined the brightest, they did not back down. The region-clinching game featured goals from the likes of seniors Josie Bird, Skylar Huckabee, junior Alyssa England, freshman Eryn Owens, and everyone in between. The win against Morrow was the perfect senior send off and motivator going into the postseason. The girls wrapped up their regular season dominance with an impressive 6-0 regional record. 

#1: Running From Nothing: Cross-Country girls take home state championship, boys take top three. 

North Atlanta’s Running Warriors dominated the championship stage during the November championships with the guys placing within the top three and the girls dominating the competition and placing first overall. While a total group effort, seniors Anna Yoder and Charlie Haines led the way with junior Sumner Kirsh was putting people on notice with his record-shattering times. 

We’ll concede that rankings are subjective things. But no matter how you might rank matters, we can all agree that the Dubs are always on top!