Excelling in Harmony: NAHS Musical Education Tops the Charts

Starting on Key: NAHS Orchestra students kick off the school year with an honors night quartet performance in the atrium.

Tucked in the back alleys of the third floor lies what may be North Atlanta’s most promising treasure: musical education. Ranging from band and orchestra to theory, the music department at NAHS provides aspiring musicians with a comprehensive and supportive foundation to kickstart their musical aspirations. Exploring the opportunities available to the countless multi-talented musicians that roam these halls will have you wondering, is this a high school corridor or a concert hall?

North Atlanta students are not limited to practicing one musical art form, and are able to reap the benefits of a diverse musical curriculum. Junior Aren Burns has taken the liberty of enrolling in a variety of music classes, as he is already a proficient guitarist, pianist, and singer. For him, music programs at North Atlanta are a good way to dip his toe into new topics that he may not be as familiar with while simultaneously maintaining his existing musical talents. “All the classes I have taken through the music department have improved my skills immensely,” he said. “They truly bring all of my musical knowledge together in a cohesive way.”

Other musicians may have single-track minds, and North Atlanta accommodates these artists just as much. Those that already consider themselves skilled at their preferred instrument may think they require more than an introductory high school music class, but the theory is disapproved quickly as they step into immersive classes such as the NAHS Jazz Band. Junior LaMarr Coleman is an experienced bass player, who still finds ways to improve each day through collaboration with his peers and musical curriculum. “Jazz Band has given me an opportunity to connect with other musicians whilst constantly evolving my skills,” he said.

Despite the availability of a variety of classes for all skill levels, there are still artists who choose a different path for their interests. Although he takes no music classes within the eleven stories, senior Kevin Clark has managed to rack up over 2,700 plays on his most recent release “no help.” He may not be receiving classroom instruction to hone his craft, but North Atlanta’s musical influence surpasses that of the dedicated curriculum. Musically-minded students roam North Atlanta each day, giving people like Clark a loyal and passionate fanbase. “North Atlanta has definitely given me an excellent platform to promote my music and feel empowered to create,” he said.

Whether you are just starting out, an experienced musician, or anything in between, North Atlanta fosters musical improvement on a vast and successful spectrum. Through a wide variety of classes and a far-reaching influence, music-minded warriors have a prime opportunity to excel at their passions and expand their musical horizons. With so many young talents having access to invaluable resources, you should be on the lookout for familiar North Atlanta faces on stage next time you go to a concert. Student musicians may be on a personalized path, but it is through music that many within North Atlanta find harmony.