Game, Set, Match: Boys Tennis Team Concludes Season with Deep Playoff Run

Samantha Fleming

Fighting ’Til the End: This year’s boys tennis team was committed to success.

North Atlanta High School has a strong athletic program, with athletes performing new feats each year. This sports season, there have been many high-achieving North Atlanta Warriors, including the boy’s varsity tennis team, who concluded an awe-inspiring season with a deep run into the state playoffs.

On May 4, the team capped off another impressive season of play. The boys bowed out in the fourth round of the playoffs after falling to perennial powerhouse Johns Creek. Despite the loss, members of the boy’s team certainly made plenty of noise – and racket – all season long. The team had an impressive 6-4 record in the regular season, notching wins against rivals such as Dunwoody and Decatur High School.

Key players all season long included seniors Will Blauser and Kellen Simmons, as well as freshman London Vasilescu. Blauser, who battled back against a foot injury early in the season, said he and the team’s other seniors were happy that the season turned out so well – especially after several recent years of the girl’s varsity team having great success – including a girl’s state championship in spring of 2022. “We saw how the girls were doing their part to bring glory to the school, so we felt like it was our turn to do the same,” he said.

The team was made up of a talented group of players and was led once again by boy’s head coach Mike Hutchings. Returning sophomore Marshall Gregory said it was great to see the strides the team made this year. He explained that the playoff run brought the team together and that he is excited to see what they can accomplish in the coming season. “I was excited to be back on the team,” he said. “It was sad to lose, but the experience was fun while it lasted.”

For some, the end of high school athletics symbolizes the end of an era of competitive play. For others – like senior Noah George – collegiate opportunities await. George is slated to play next year on the Oglethorpe University tennis team, not far from home. As team captain, he was extremely proud of the improvements the boys made and the bond they built throughout the season. “The team has a bright future, and I’m glad we went out with a bang for my senior season,” he said.

The dedication of this year’s team was evident in their relentless pursuit of a state championship. This season’s success is no doubt a testament to their hard work, which the boys aim to replicate for years to come. Great work, Dubs.