Roddey Bird: Working It Like a Warrior

Bradley Koontz
Balancing School and Work: Super Sophomore Roddey Bird.

Every North Atlanta student has experienced the hustle and bustle of an overloaded school week. For many of the students, a day of school work is the norm. Sophomore Roddey Bird, however, has decided to take on a job in addition to her academic pursuits. With big aspirations for the future, Bird believes that it is important to learn how to balance her job and school to keep equilibrium in her life. 

Bird works as a hostess at Howell’s Kitchen and Bar. Howell’s is a family-friendly neighborhood restaurant on Howell Mill Road. She normally works two to three nights a week, and will often pick up shifts on the weekends if possible. As an extrovert, Bird enjoys working as a hostess because she gets to interact with lots of friends and customers. Besides the social aspect of work, she’s also making money which is a bonus, since she has to save up for gas and car insurance. 

Though she is grateful that her job gives her the freedom to afford things that are essential to her, Bird says that it does not come easy. Balancing school and her hostess responsibilities requires dedication. Taking four AP classes is a lot for any student, and for Bird, it gets to be even more because she works during the week. To keep up with school work, stay on track, and reduce the stress of a busy week, Bird believes that time management is key. For many North Atlanta students, this is a struggle, but Bird has managed to find her method to stay studious. “I come home and immediately start doing homework, and sometimes at work when it’s slow I will try to get work done on my phone,” she said. 

Another big topic of students’ work and school schedule dilemma is finding the time for self-care and personal well-being. Bird uses a variety of strategies to stay happy, and healthy, and maintain as much relaxation as possible. Her most significant aids are time management and communicating with teachers and her manager at work. These both help her find the time for sports, exercise, social activities, and spending time with her family. She loves to keep an agenda to see the best times to apply for her shifts and see what dates match up with tests, and busy school nights. “Communicating with my teachers is always important because most of them are understanding and cooperative when it comes to extensions and help on assignments,” she said. 

Balance school and other responsibilities are a challenge that a large population of North Atlanta High School faces. Through scheduling, communication, and support from friends and family, Roddey Bird has found the best ways to maintain both her well-being and her 4.0. As she continues her high school career, she hopes to maintain these skills and gain more insight over time.