The Speed Zone Shuffle: Dubs Dance Around New Warning Tickets

Mary Dewberry
Super Speeders: Juniors Taylor So and David Hughes are surprised by the daunting new speed zones surrounding elementary schools.

In the midst of the school time rush, the roads around APS elementary schools have recently been fighting back against speeders. The familiar streets surrounding North Atlanta’s feeder schools, once unassuming in their traffic regulations, have now taken charge, and it is sending shockwaves through the North Atlanta student body. Most of the time, juniors and seniors carefully monitor their speedometers as they slowly make their way to school. However, the unlucky rule breakers have received warnings in the mail as a sign of their too-high speeds. As punishments become more strict, some students are being forced to swap their racetrack behaviors for a safer driving strategy.
The recent implementation of speed zones around local public elementary schools has brought about a noticeable transformation in North Atlanta’s traffic landscape. These zones, meticulously marked and designed to ensure the safety of young children, have introduced a new set of rules for drivers. In response to these changes, high school students have found themselves navigating a maze of new regulations. Junior Bella Van Nostran has been caught up in a few traffic jams caused by the speed zones, which often make her late for school. “I used to be able to get to school really quickly with no issue,” she said. “Now, since everyone drives so slowly, it feels like I have to leave much earlier just to make it on time.”
Among the high school student population, one junior stands out as an example of the harsh consequences associated with these new speed zones. Anderson Benedict, a responsible and hardworking student, has received a warning ticket for crossing into the newly designated school zones too quickly while driving to North Atlanta. The first time, she was taken aback by the daunting email that occupied her inbox. “I didn’t realize how strictly they would be enforcing the new rules,” she said. “Apparently they have no leniency because I was given a warning for going 26 in a 25 zone.”
Anderson’s situation mirrors the growing concerns of many high school students who are treading cautiously around these altered speed zones. As the debate intensifies and the implications of these speed limits become increasingly apparent, stress levels rise. Some sophomores, such as Audrey Khayat, are worried about their future once they are behind the wheel. For Khayat, the reality of driving is so enticing that any attention placed on staying under the speed limit is dissolved. “I am a little nervous about my speeds being monitored so closely,” she said. “If students are being given warnings for being just over the limit, I’m not sure how I’ll avoid it.”
Overall, the introduction of these speed zones reflects a community’s shared commitment to safeguarding its future. By addressing the concerns of older students and ensuring they are well informed about the changes, there will be a more harmonious coexistence between the levels of the educational system. In the meantime, make sure to drive safely and avoid those warning tickets.