Joseph Perez’s Culinary Journey at Karv Kitchen

The Works
Savoring the Flavor: Senior Joseph Perez shares his work experience at The Works’ Karv Kitchen.

Getting a job in high school is a route that several students choose to pursue. It is a great resume addition to help one develop socially and make money. Senior Joseph Perez spends the majority of his time after school at his job located in the Chattahoochee Food Works. Karv Kitchen, a Greek restaurant, is the perfect place for him to develop himself and provide a service to others.

The food served at Karv Kitchen is similar to a Cava or Chipotle with a Mediterranean twist. Customers can choose between a bowl or a burrito with their choice of side. The ordering and preparing is all done very quickly, offering everyone fast and good food. Sometimes, Greek desserts get sold, which is one of Perez’ favorite treats to have at the end of his shift. “My favorite thing to have from Karv is a braised lamb bowl with peri-peri sauce, parmesan cheese, arugula, onion and radish,” he said. “I like to add pita with hummus on the side to wash it all down.”

Perez began working at Karv Kitchen this past July after leaving another job. At first, he wanted a fresh start with new people and experiences, though now the value of his time at Karv Kitchen is clear. Perez is able to flourish socially with his coworkers while connecting with customers, many of whom he is also classmates with. The Works has become a very popular place for teenagers to hang out and he enjoys being able to interact with friends while being on the job. However, he said that one of the best aspects of the job is the amount of breaks he is allowed. These breaks are cherished and used as homework periods so he has less to do once he makes it home after his shift. “Homework is usually the last thing I want to do after a long shift,” he said. “Being able to do it at work makes it so much easier to manage my course load.”

When considering his schedule and availability during the weekends, Perez leans more towards opening shifts. Of course, any work is good work, but he feels much more at peace when he is able to open and set everything up himself. Usually, morning shifts consist of cleaning up whatever the previous shift might have missed and restocking whatever Karv may need for the day. These tasks, especially all of the food prep, motivate him to have a strong and successful shift. When he can work on weekdays, he always gets the closing shift. It also consists of cleaning and other prep so the next morning shift has everything they need. “I don’t mind closing shifts, but opening gives me more peace of mind and completely prepares me for my shift,” he said.

Joseph Perez is passionate about his job at Karv Kitchen and said that he could not imagine a better job at this point in his life. Having a part-time job in high school has helped him improve his time management and social network, while also having access to delicious Greek food. He hopes his experience will inspire other Dubs to get a head start on opportunities while they are still in high school.