New Era of Warrior Football Starts Off With Win Over KIPP Atlanta

Hard work leads to positive results. This maxim was proved right on July 27 as the North Atlanta Warriors started off their 2015 season with a win over KIPP Atlanta Collegiate by the score of 30-21.

Quarterback Jack Ferguson and running back Julious Washington led the Warrior attack and the team scored the most points in a game since 2011. The game marked more than just the start of the season. The win also marked the beginning of the tenure of new head coach Jeremy Gainer who took over the program after last year’s disappointing 2-win and 8-loss season.

A hint of program revitalization was seen prior to the season. Under Gainer, team members worked on strength and conditioning all summer long. The hard work was evident during a pre-season scrimmage held on August 14 at Warrior Field against the school’s cross-the-street neighbor The Lovett School. The Warriors and the Lions played to a 14-14 tie before a packed stadium. “We were looking to gauge where we were at as far as our strengths were concerned. The scrimmage also let us see some of our weakness,” Gainer said.

The win over KIPP Atlanta let the players know that hard work pays dividends. “It feels great to get things started off with a win,” said quarterback Jack Ferguson, a junior. “But we want more than just this win. We’re aiming for a winning season.”

For this season, Gainer has brought in a new attitude along with new coaches who have extensive experience, and even some connections to the NFL. Coach Izaan Cross, a varsity defensive line coach and head coach for the Warrior JV squad, was a three-year starter for Georgia Tech and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills. John Randolph, new coach for the offensive line, comes with an extensive coaching pedigree with coaching stints at Tri Cities High School, East Point; Sutton Middle School; Avondale High School; Clarkston High School; Jackson-Olin High School; Birmingham, Ala.; and Banneker High School, College Park.

Team captains are seniors Selah Morgan, linebacker; Joel Maldonado, defensive line; and Robert Wooten, offensive line. Seniors have exhibited their leadership since the start of summer workouts and their attitudes make all the difference whether its practice workouts or crunch time in high-pressure games. “We seniors plan on getting more wins this year than the past three years combined,” said Morgan.

This year, the football team has its standards set high. The hope is that all the hard work and sacrifices over the summer will result in many future wins. With a determined team and a committed coaching staff, the Warriors seem set for more victories this season.