A Strong Run So Far for the Running Warriors

The+2015+Running+Warriors+pose+with+their+trophies+for+a+team+photo.++

The 2015 Running Warriors pose with their trophies for a team photo.

So far so strong for the Running Warriors this fall season. Head Coach George Sanderlin said he’s impressed with the strides the team has made during its fall campaign. “Our boys have got a really good shot of making it to state” said Sanderlin, who has coached at North Atlanta for seven years.

Only four teams will make it to region meet on October 28 in Canton. Region 7-5A powerhouse Dalton was ranked fourth pre-season and the focus all season has been running past the Catamounts. Another team focus was having a strong finish in the APS City Championships.

Aside from the competitive side of cross-country, there is an undeniable social aspect to the sport. “Being on this team is as much a social bonding experience as it is anything else,” Sanderlin said.

Many runners echoed similar feelings. “Everyone is always really energetic and encouraging and we all try our best,” said senior Glenda Tutt, a four-year team veteran.

This year Sanderlin has changed his coaching style and he said positive results have followed. “Last year I coached with a punishment-rewards approach, but this year I’m coaching from the heart and the results are showing,” he said.

So far the boys team has broken the school record in overall team time at a meet twice this year. The girls have run their second-fastest team time in school history.

The team has competed in six meets against other APS high schools and in each case has performed strongly. The team also participated in several invitationals. At the Run at the Rock Invitational in Cartersville both the girls and boys teams finished second. At the same event, the boys team established a new team time school record. At Warpath in Canton every single runner, both varsity and JV, set either a personal record or season’s best time.

The City Championships at Grant Park on Oct. 14 was one of the most exciting events of the season. The event brought together teams from all APS high schools. This year, the boys came in first and the girls placed second. Junior Jackson Pearce came in first out followed by senior Nicholas Durham in fifth, freshmen Matthew Aspinwall in sixth, freshmen Mac Bloodworth in seventh and senior Jack Tribou in eighth. Tutt came in sixth on the girl’s side, followed closely by freshmen Kate Breeden in seventh, sophomore Jennifer Lusk in ninth, and freshmen Sarah Pearl and Rebekah Hetzel, who came in tenth and twelfth, respectively.

The season is drawing to a close but you can still find the Running Warriors training every day in preparation for regionals.