Water Warriors Splash Into The Season

Water+Warriors+captains+Alex+Price+%28left%29+and+Morgan+Gomez+%28right%29+show+great++promise+in+leading+the+team+this+season.+

Cady Studios

Water Warriors captains Alex Price (left) and Morgan Gomez (right) show great promise in leading the team this season.

It was a record-breaking start for the North Water Warriors Swim Team at the Riverside Military Academy meet in Gainesville this November. Despite the three-hour departure delay, the swimmers and divers came armed for battle against the Blessed Trinity Titans, Forsyth Central Wildcats and the Riverside Military Academy Eagles. The Warriors scored well both as a team and individually.

Three relay teams from the Boys varsity team qualified for state times. Together senior Niko Stines, junior Colin Forsyth, junior Yannick Smith and freshman Ethan Roman won first place in the 200-yard medley at 1 minute and 46.99 seconds and the 400-yard freestyle at 3 minutes 38.02 seconds

Juniors Alex Day, Zeke Day, Miles Jackson and freshman Kody McClary placed fourth in the 200-yard freestyle at 1 minute 41.58 seconds. Individual qualifying state times include Stines, who won first place in the 200-yard freestyle at 1 minute 52.56 seconds; and Smith who tied for first place in the 50-yard freestyle at 22.75 seconds against the Eagles.

Senior divers Knox Willoughby finished 2nd in the mens division with 288.75 points, freshman Drew Sheldon finished finished 3rd in the mens division with 231 points, and sophomore Lesley Laws finished 3rd in the women’s division with 151.80 points. Overall, the Warrior men won the division with a score of 164 points, and the women succeeded to third place with a score of 100.

“We had some great individual swim and dive results,” said Coach Star Brackin.

“I am very impressed of the team so far and I think we have a good group of kids swimming with us this year,” said Coach Alan Joel. “Those who didn’t make state time help aid the win over this meet.”

Neither the delayed departure nor the 60-mile trek kept Water Warriors fans from roaring up a “cheer section.” Coach Brackin’s sentiments about the Water Warriors sportsmanlike conduct created the right stroke for the Water Warriors first meet of the 2015-16 season.

“It’s great that we have so many new swimmers on the team and at each practice they are getting better,” said senior Morgan Gomez, the team captain. “I still believe that we have a lot of work to get to our goal of having more people making state.”

With the Water Warriors making quite a splash at their first meet, it is expected that many more victories are right around the corner. The team looks forward to seeing its cheering squad in the stands.