Filed under Showcase, Sports

Running Warriors Compete and Succeed During Spring Campaign

Senior+Jackson+Pearce+hoists+more+trophy+hardware+at+the+APS+Championships+on+April+25.+Joining+him+is+a+Grady+High+competitor.+
Senior Jackson Pearce hoists more trophy hardware at the APS Championships on April 25. Joining him is a Grady High competitor.

Ed Pearce

Ed Pearce

For years, North Atlanta students, teachers, and athletes have misguided themselves on the quality of our sports teams. Of course there are some good players here and there that receive athletic scholarships, but the extent of our championship vocabulary ends at regionals. However, there is one team that rises above of the disappointing nature of North Atlanta sports.

The Track and Field squad holds much of success and prestige of North Atlanta sports while the remnants are sprinkled on the rest of varsity clubs. For many years, Track Coach George Sanderlin has led a team that continues to make great strides for success.

Time and time again, the North Atlanta Track and Field Team has made a name for itself at each meet team members participate in. In their latest series of events, the Warriors outclassed the rest of the field with masterful showings from several track runners. Star North Atlanta runner Jackson Pearce finished second in the “Rumble in the Jungle” 1600 meter main event which was held at Parkview High School on April 1. Pearce broke not only his record, but the school record as well.

“We have broken eight school records already this year,” said Coach George Sanderlin.

With other key performances in the meet from sophomore Mac Bloodworth and freshman Aubrey Miller, Sanderlin seems to be adding a name to a North Atlanta sports that hasn’t been all that common at the high school: successful.

On March 25, the team finished fifth in both male and female at the APS Championships, but senior Jackson Pearce in particular stood out. Finishing first in both the 800 meter and 1600 meter events, he was named the Outstanding Track Athlete of the Meet for the third consecutive year. Although the loss of this stellar athlete at the conclusion of this year’s season does seem to pose an issue for Track and Field, the depth of the team and the leadership of Coach Sanderlin will overcome any competitive hurdles.

“We are one of the few teams that consistently gets athletes to the state tournament level of competition year in and year out,” Sanderlin said. “This year was no exception as four of our athletes made it to state sectionals.”

At North Atlanta, one football victory can be cause for widespread elation. Perhaps it’s unfair then that our school does not recognize the ongoing excellence of the Track and Field team that consistently cruises to victories at so many of their events.