Filed under Showcase, Sports

North Atlanta Basketball: Tall Players with High Expectations

Hoop Dreams: Joshua Johnson, Messiah Thompson and Michael Ashley all figure to play large roles during the Warrior 2017-18 basketball season. Cady Studios

Cady Studios

Cady Studios

Now that the football season has come to a close, it is time for Warrior basketball to tipoff. Coming off of a blowout 77 to 32 victory in an exhibition against Carver on November 9, a great deal of optimism surrounds this year’s squad. Many believe that head coach Kerry Sarden and his team are primed for a big run in this season’s 6A region 7. However, the fate of the team will be determined by the play of five key Warriors:

Messiah Thompson: 5 feet 7 inches, junior, point guard

The shifty playmaker is making his return to North Atlanta following a one-season stint at Pebblebrook High School. Like his freshman year, Thompson will be the center of the Warrior offense. His ball-handling skills are key to his offensive success, as he is known for crossing defenders to either get an open shot or find an open passing lane. Thompson also shines on the defensive end due to his quickness. This two-way star will be a fun one to watch for the Warriors this season.

Dominic Ham: 6 feet 2 inches, senior, forward

The Warrior’s sixth man has shown to be a vital source of scoring for the offense and this will continue to be true this season. The sharp shooter has shown he has the ability to heat up fast and quickly change a game. This was especially the case in the exhibition game vs Carver, as he put up 15 points off of the bench.

Andrew Robinson: 6 feet 4 inches, junior, forward

Following two years at Pebblebrook, Robinson is entering his first season for the Warriors. Generally, Robinson plays in the post, as he is able to dominate the glass and throw down some thrilling dunks. However, he is also known for his ability to stretch the floor and score from multiple spots. Robinson showed out in his first appearance for the Warriors by dropping 17 points.

Andrew Stimpson, 6 feet 2 inches, senior, guard

Whether he is shooting, dunking, passing or defending, Stimpson has shown he can do it all on both sides of the floor. The two-way star is gifted with great length to go along with his athleticism. The versatility of Stimpson may be his most significant trait to the team since he can defend multiple positions as well as play on the perimeter or the post.

Sam Jennings: 6 feet 3 inches, junior, guard

The high-powered Warrior offense would not be complete without junior guard Sam Jennings. Jennings size and length provide troubles for opposing defenders. To go along with that, he is very talented on the offensive side as he can is able to share the rock with an open teammate or score the ball via a shot or dunk. In addition, his great understanding of the game is a perfect fit for the overall high IQ of the team.

With North Atlanta’s season gearing up, many fans are hungry for success, and this team is primed to deliver. Overall, athleticism and experience are among the key qualities of this team. Because of this, 2017 should be an exciting year for the Warriors.