Filed under Showcase, Sports

North Atlanta Fights for a Final Four Berth Against Heritage

Push To The Final Four: The Warriors are on an amazing run and a win against Heritage could get them to the Final Four. Shown left to right are junior Messiah Thompson and seniors Desmond Thomas and Andrew Stimpson.

Patrick Hannan

Patrick Hannan

February has been a basketball frenzy for the North Atlanta Warriors. The team has yet to lose in the month and has been on a 10-game win streak since mid-January. To go along with a region title, the Warriors defeated Douglas County in the Sweet 16 round and have clinched a berth in the Elite Eight of the state playoffs.

North Atlanta dominated its Sweet 16 matchup against Douglas County at home by a score of 91 to 79. The offense remained hot, as their were five player who scored in double-figures and the team saw themselves post the highest score of any team in the Class 6A state tournament. Junior point guard Messiah Thompson led the offense by filling the stat sheet with 23 points and 10 assists. Senior forward Josh Johnson also posted a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds. In addition, senior forward Dominic Ham proved once again his abilities as a sharpshoot by dropping 21 points and five 3 Pointers.

The Warriors’ Elite 8 matchup is set against Heritage High school. Heritage enters this game following an 83 to 73 victory over Bradwell Institute. Some of Heritage’s players to look out for in Wednesday matchup are junior guards Josh Guilford and Trelan Scott, as both of them are among Heritage’s top scorers this season. Guilford led the Patriots to its Sweet 16 win as he scored 29 points, including six three pointers. Meanwhile, Scott has average 14.8 points this season for the Patriots. It will be key for the Warriors to lock down these two players on defense if they want to win this game, and advance to the Final Four.

Overall, a great matchup is in store for all fans planning to attend this game. This game will come down to who can step up on defense, as both of these teams have shown their ability to put up big numbers on offense. As strong of a month that the Warriors are having, they will need to stay hot and capture a win in order to punch their ticket to the Final Four. Get ready Warrior fans. Tipoff is right around the corner, and this should be a good one.