Filed under Showcase, Sports

Ashley Humphrey Let’s Nothing Pass for Girls Lacrosse

Love for LAX: Sophomore Ashley Humphrey has taken to the sport and is making contributions as a goalie for the girls lacrosse team.

Maddy Carter

Maddy Carter

Maddy Carter

She’s the goalie for the girls lacrosse team and the manager for the basketball team. On top of these notable achievements, she’s also a high-achieving North Atlanta student. These are the many faces of sophomore Ashley Humphrey.

During this spring, Humphrey’s excellence in lacrosse has made a difference for her team. Owing in part to her work as a goalie, the team has had a competitive year including wins against teams like Wheeler and Newnan.

And her high level of play is especially noteworthy given her comparative newness to the sport. She only started playing lacrosse during her freshman year when she took up the goalie reins. Her entry in the sport was through her friend, sophomore Nikki Burke. “She was talking about it trying out and it was kind of funny because it was a thought I had as well so we decided to do it together,” Humphrey said.

She said she immediately took to the sport, citing the action-packed nature of play not to mention the immediate camaraderie she felt with her Warrior teammates. It was intimidating to try out in a new sport but she conquered those fears along with learning the nuances of the game. “There were girls out there who had been playing since fifth or sixth grade,” she said. “It was hard initially just to pick things up but everyone was really helpful. I couldn’t have done it without their help.”

The girls lacrosse team currently finds itself hitting the end of its season and there’s been enough time elapsed for a player like Humphrey to reflect on what’s been accomplished this year. “We have a really good team, and the season’s expectation was to go to playoffs and I think we’re going to achieve it,” she said.

Girls lacrosse is known to be a very physically tiring sport. It’s mentally challenging as well, as you’re required to remember plays and be able to execute them correctly. Of course there are the ups and downs to every sport. “My favorite part has to be game day, because when the girls are all together there is a high amount of energy,” Humphrey said.

Her teammates have noticed her positive contributions and they’ve noticed her work ethic both in learning her position and the game. “It’s been impressive to see her come in and immediately make a difference for our team,” said junior Callie Perciful

All season long, her goal is to see that Warrior opponents get no goals. And along the way she’s having a great time developing as a player in her newfound sport. ““I’m so glad I came out,” she said. “The sport has really added a lot to my life.”