Filed under Showcase, Sports

North Atlanta Golf Teams Take a Swing at a Competitive Season

Going+for+the+Greens%3A+The+Warrior+girls+golf+team+is+swinging+toward+a+competitive+2018+season.+The+team+here+is+shown+with+Coach+Kerry+Sarden.++
Going for the Greens: The Warrior girls golf team is swinging toward a competitive 2018 season. The team here is shown with Coach Kerry Sarden.

Cady Studios

Cady Studios

Both North Atlanta golf teams are in the throes of their 2018 campaigns and this year both the boys and girls teams are seeking to build off previous seasons in order to establish a strong foundation for the program.  

The boy’s squad competed in its first invitational event of the season at the Riverwood-Weber Ryder Cup Invitational in Woodmont on March 3. The girl’s squad opened up at the Lakewood Invitational in Columbus on March 9 and 10, which showed the growth of the program from past campaigns.

Most recently within the schedule, the girls team competed in the Waterwheel tournament at Hard Labor Golf Course in Rutledge on March 10 and the boys at the Viking Classic in Valdosta from March 16 to 17.

The team is led by coach Kerry Sarden and led by seasoned veteran captains, junior Taylor Hunter on the girls side and sophomore Ray Hackett for the boys team. Hunter, one of the team’s strongest golfers, sees the season as a chance to improve as a squad and compete in a tough competitive region. The team regularly practices at Chastain and Fox Creek Golf Course in Smyrna throughout the week. “I think that the great thing about our team we give our full effort and we always want to do our best and have fun,” said Hunter.

The team will play against local schools including Woodward Academy, Riverwood, Campbell, Northview and Lakewood. With a competitive schedule ahead and tough competition to face, The squad believes that it will benefit the program as a whole.

Freshman Benjamin Jennings, a newcomer who has provided strong talent to the squad, believes that the team’s future is a promising one. He cited this year’s addition of fellow freshman Ned Coleman and Christopher Lee, and the three are examples of new blood making big contributions. “This team is a great group of guys and we all have a lot of fun during matches and practices.” said Jennings. “As a team hope to produce a successful season so we can continue to improve over the years.”

Judging from their play so far, it seems certain that the Warrior golf team will be on par with their collective goals for this campaign. With the team reaching the heart of the season, they are hoping for a hole in one for the record books.