Hard Work Pays Off On Signing Day For the Warriors

Bethany Creaven

Future Tiger: Senior Anna Day, who has signed to play lacrosse for the University of the South, is one of many Warrior athletes who will play their chosen sport in college. On Signing Day on April 11, Day gathered with her Warrior varsity girls lacrosse teammates.

On April 11, six North Atlanta High School student-athletes participated in the spring Signing Day. In doing so they joined the ranks of nine other Warriors from the class of 2018 who have also signed to play their respective sports at the collegiate level.

Of the 15 signees from the 2018 class, there are seven football players (Terrain Rainey, Terrell Rainey, Amari Adolph, Dominic Ham, Caleb Washington, Jeffrey Wood, Jay Harvey) and three baseball players (Foster Olson, Chandler Coleman, Antonio Catchings). Soccer player Stefane Zemmali, lacrosse player Anna Day, fencer Lark Izenson, and basketball player Andrew Stimpson are all signed to play at Davidson College, Sewanee, the University of Pennsylvania, and Piedmont College, respectively. In addition, soccer player Lizzie Mayfield, originally among the 2018 class, is currently attending and playing soccer for the University of West Virginia.  

Becoming a collegiate-level athlete is no easy task. The amount of time and level of effort and dedication that these individuals have had to show goes well beyond the norm for their peers. Not only have these students had to show their talents on the field in order to catch the eye of the coaches and scouts from these schools, but they have also had to manage and succeed being a student as well. To many players, like Chandler Coleman, getting to play the sport they love in college is a dream come true. “It’s a surreal experience that I have been looking forward to my whole life,” Coleman said. “Being labelled as a college athlete is something I have been looking forward to my whole life.”

To go along with everything done by each individual signee, many of their school and club coaches have also been very involved in the process. For Terrain Rainey, coaching mentoring came from Coach Terrance Amos along with coaches Isaiah and Izaan Cross. “I wouldn’t be where I am without them,” Rainey said. “They always trained me really hard and sometimes it felt like they were killing me, but they said they would get me to college and it worked.”

Not only do the signees resemble hard workers and talented individuals, but they also demonstrate what it means to be a Warrior. This class has impressed many, including athletic director Andre Regan. “The highest endorsement of what we’re doing here in our program is placing our athletes at the next level,” Regan said. “They are the best of what we are. They will be missed and we wish for them every good thing.”

An immense amount of hardwork and dedication put in by each of these players and their coaches. These 15 recruits have shown they have what it takes to get to the next level of their athletic careers. In addition, these signees are setting an example of how to be a North Atlanta Warrior. However, the road does not end here. By having talents and work ethics like the ones they possess, these signees should represent North Atlanta very well in college and beyond. Play on, Warriors. Play on.

1. Anna Day – Sewanee – Lacrosse
  2. Andrew Stimpson – Piedmont – Basketball
  3. Foster Olsen – Sewanee – Baseball
  4. Antonio Catchings – Paine – Baseball
  5. Chandler Coleman – Florida A&M – Baseball
  6. Lark Izenson – University of Pennsylvania – Fencing
  7. Stefane Zemmali – Davidson – Soccer
  8. Terrian Rainey – Stetson – Football
  9. Terrell Rainey – Olivet Nazarene – Football
  10. Dominic Ham – Shorter University – Football
  11. Jay Harvey – Middle Georgia State – Football
  12. Caleb Washington – ASA College – Football
  13. Jeffery Wood – Citadel – Football
  14. Amari Adolph – Union College – Football
  15. Lizzie Mayfield – West Virginia – Soccer (Already attending)