Filed under Showcase, Sports

Young Baseball Warriors Look Ready to Step Up to the Plate

Young Dubs: The Warrior baseball program should be in good hands with such strong talent in the pipeline. Shown here are Sophomores Jack Kiefer, Willem Carter and Parker French.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

While the season did not go as well as many had hoped for the varsity team, there are still reasons for the North Atlanta baseball program to be excited. Following a season in which the varsity team missed the playoffs while the JV team was toward the top of their region, it is clear that the future is bright for the Warriors. Sophomores Parker French, Jack Kiefer and Willem Carter led the JV team, and with an whole offseason to work, these three should be ready to contribute greatly on the varsity level next season.

Defense wins championships and sophomore second basemen Parker French has this mindset every time he hits the field. French took home the JV gold glove award, which is given to the best fielder on the team. The slick fielder can also play second and third base and this versatility in the field will prove to be very valuable to the Warriors next season and beyond. “I think if you can hold a team to two runs or less, then you will have a good chance to win the game, so I take a lot of pride in having a smooth glove,” French said.

While having a stout defense is important, having some loud bats is too. Sophomore outfielder Jack Kiefer was awarded the JV Silver Slugger award for his consistent hitting and scoring this season. Kiefer sparked the offense for the Warriors, as he led the team in hits, runs scored, and runs batted in, walks, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. This consistency at the plate will translate very well to the varsity level and it should only improve with time. “I put a lot of focus and effort into each of my at bats because you can win if you don’t score any runs,” Kiefer said.

Every talented team needs great leadership and sophomore catcher provided this as he received the Warrior Award for his success as a player, teammate and leader on and off the field. Whether it was hitting a home run or rallying his teammates, Carter provided for the Warriors in a variety of forms. “I just try to do all I can to help my team win games,” Carter said.

With seniors graduating, the varsity team will be missing many key pieces from this season. However, the team will be in good hands next season, as many young, talented players, like sophomores Parker French, Jack Kiefer and Willem Carter, will be prepared to fill these roles and win some games. The future is bright for the North Atlanta baseball program, and only time will tell what their potential will turn into.